Tateyama diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today it was time for something a little different, and for only my second diving trip to Chiba.... today we went out to TATEYAMA and did a couple of boat dives there. I was pleasantly surprised - 15m viz, 24 degrees water temperature, not bad at all!

The best thing was the huge amounts of fish there - in and quantity size they dwarfed everything I have seen in Izu.... there was a 80cm+ sweetlips, some 1m groupers and some tonking great "beardfish"... no idea what the real name is but you can see why I call them that below.

In addition there were lobsters galore, lots of vast shoals of small fish and a school of eagle rays... which everyone else got pictures of "in flight"... while I had my head stuck under a rock counting lobsters....

So, although that was my first visit to Tateyama I doubt it will be my last... one thing to note is the surface currents can be pretty strong, and I can see entries/exits could be a bit of a challenge.. but today it was fine. Some photos (I only took my camera on one dive after the guide scared me with strong current stories before the first!!)

Shoals

CopyofIMG_0322.jpg

Lobster legs!

CopyofIMG_0292.jpg

Big and little ebi's

CopyofIMG_0298.jpg

The mighty beardfish

CopyofIMG_0309.jpg

A grouper swimming by

CopyofIMG_0287.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back