Tasty Ice Chips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just curious. After about 30 minutes into a dive where the water temp. is below 40f, I sometimes get little chips of ice in my mouth when I inhale. I'm guessing that it's some ice build up on the allow heat exchanger in the 2nd stage from the moisture in my exhales. Any thoughts?

Hard to say for sure without knowing what second stage you have but the ice is most likely forming on the air barrel, or less likely, on the lever itself. If the ice buildup progresses to the point that it impedes the movement of the lever, you'll have big problems as the second stage is likely to stop supplying air and you will need to switch to an alternate second stage.

The good news is that the ice chips are obviously coming off which will serve to limit the ice accumulation.

Just the thought of ice chips while diving makes me shiver...

BBBRRRRRrrrrrr :help:

More power to you

Rick Inman:
Just curious. After about 30 minutes into a dive where the water temp. is below 40f, I sometimes get little chips of ice in my mouth when I inhale. I'm guessing that it's some ice build up on the allow heat exchanger in the 2nd stage from the moisture in my exhales. Any thoughts?

Where are you getting your fills?

R..

Diver0001:
Where are you getting your fills?

R..
Reg is kind of an off brand, high proformance, Prosub Atomic rated for cold water diving.
Fills are at my LDS, who says the air is DRY.

I had that experience on my first ever Great Lakes dive, the Arabia in Tobermory. Its an interesting experience :)

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom