Tape for Bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tired_Diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have not been able to find this using the search feature.

It was recently recommended that I put tape on my doubles bands. Apparently it goes on the band between the bands and the tanks.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for doing this?

What would the purpose be?
The bands on doubles should be just snug and not super tightened.

Can’t say that I’ve ever seen tape applied between the bands and tanks.

I have been diving doubles for quite a few years and had never heard or seen anyone do this.

The two reasons presented:
A barrier to prevent corrosion.
To prevent cold welding from dissimilar metals.

Neither individual could give me a brand, model number etc. Both individuals seemed to act like it was common practice and are very senior in the service technician world.

Never saw or heard of it. Seems like a solution looking for a non-existent problem. Since cylinders should be vis'd yearly, you have to take them apart anyway for that. Unless one is an absolute pig with their gear and never rinses it, there's little danger of cold-welding with this.
Did these "Senior" techs also recommend looking for muffler bearings and a left handed smoke shifter for the boat exhaust?
Sounds and smells like they are full of it to me.

I have played with more than a few sets of doubles over the years, can't say I have ever seen tape applied under the bands. I have seen some that had rubber shoved between the tanks and bands and they usually have a significant amount of corrosion from the rubber holding the moisture in place.
I would just install the bands as they are designed and intended.

It was recently recommended that I put tape on my doubles bands. Apparently it goes on the band between the bands and the tanks.

vinyl tape or 3m skid tapes for stairs.

Nope. I've never used anything between the bands and the cylinders.

I have been diving doubles for quite a few years and had never heard or seen anyone do this.

The two reasons presented:
A barrier to prevent corrosion.
To prevent cold welding from dissimilar metals.

Neither individual could give me a brand, model number etc. Both individuals seemed to act like it was common practice and are very senior in the service technician world.

It's not and they're not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom