Tanzania/Zanzibar diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zanzibar, Pemba, and Mafia
how is the diving in april (1-18)?
or is it better october (1-12)
love warm water though, not much curents
love muck macro (also manta and humpback never seen ) we dived all over the world so looking for only specials marin life like i mentioned

I need to make more money.

Since it was billed as top dive in Zanzibar (and the priciest) I went to Mnemba atoll in February of 2019. It was okay, but it is not an out-of-this-world dive site. It was not enough to encourage me to do more dives.

I've also done Mnemba Island. It's pristine - but I'm happy I didn't stay at the resort as I was a poor student at the time. Instead I just did a day trip - don't remember what I paid. I enjoyed the diving. Very very clear, dolphins, turtles... It were good dives for sure!

Reviving this thread - we're doing a safari in the Mara and we're debating where to go for scuba afterwards in late September/early October. Going to the Kenyan coast would be the easiest in terms of getting there, but I've heard very little about the quality of diving in Watamu/Malindi/Diani, so we're wondering if it's worth making the trek over to Zanzibar/Pemba instead.

SeptemberOctober normally not ideal (a month later will increase your chanses of good dive conditions greatly), but Pemba Island offers the best diving from what I have seen in the region--can be world class when conditions co operate. Best I have seen in Zanzibar is okeyish. If you're there, go dive. But don't go there for diving inmo. I have never dived in Kenya... it used to be popular in the 1970's, but I guess other places far superior where then discovered by tourists. From what I've heard the general dive quality is poor.

Back
Top Bottom