Tanzania Diving - an insider view (thoughts?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI there,

It's a very interesting thread to someone like me, who is considering diving Tanzania. I was wondering whether there are months better than others to dive Zanzibar and whether there is any month which is better to avoid because of some special reason.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

pretty sure its all year round with no real unpleasant season. generally they say sept-march is the best with a chance to see whale sharks nov-feb. I was there mid dec so the diving was great and there wasn't a particularly large amount of tourists. If memory serves the Tanzania tourist season picks up across the board from late december into jan. I'm no expert though just a 4 week holiday there about 3 years ago.

On the East coast it is calmest from September to March. June, July and August are the rougher months although boats will always go out unless there is really, really bad weather. September to December you can see migrating humpbacks on the surface, hear them underwater and if you are incrediblly lucky see one on a dive.

here is another short clip of diving in zanzibar.

[video=youtube_share;wvxQejTkeOY]http://youtu.be/wvxQejTkeOY[/video]

the place is a gem

I'll add some pictures taken from around the Stone Town area of Zanzibar - photo credits supplied where known!

30mWreck_ST3.jpg
The Royal Navy Lighter shipwreck @ 30m

30mWreck_ST4.jpg
The Royal Navy Lighter shipwreck @ 30m

boxfish in coralv2.jpg
Boxfish. Photo by Aaron Gekoski

frog fish yawning_low res.jpg
Yawning Leaf-fish. Photo by Aaron Gekoski

mantis_shrimp_ST.jpg
Mantis Shrimp. Photo by Aaron Gekoski

IMG_0430.jpgIMG_0469.jpgbawe.jpgNembrotha purpureolineata2.jpgNudi.jpgnudie.jpg
A wide array of nudibranchs can always be found...

IMG_0463.jpgimuri.jpg
As well as flatworms.

Weedy2.JPGSalla ja merihepo.jpgsea grass ghost pipefish.jpg

If you'd like me to keep posting pictures, please let me know! I have a few available from the east coast, but I suspect Dive Gypsy has many more photos than me for that side of the island!

It's good to have this dilemna. My wife and I are going to be in Tanzania this December. We want to spend at least 5 or 6 days diving and snorkeling. It seems that Zanzibar has a wider variety of accommodations than Pemba, it being a bigger tourist destination. I don't want to be a cheapskate, but neither do I want to pop for a fancy resort. We are taking our grown kids and as you all know diving vacations have a way of draining the accounts. Is Pemba worth the extra money, divewise? Is it significantly better than Zanzibar?
Thanks for any comments.

George, in a word, yes. More varied topography, superb coral coverage, schools of jacks and barracudas December time. But you could do both, dive both islands. If you want to snorkel with whale sharks you'll have to go to Mafia though. Look up Dives, tribes, treks, and wildlife safaris - Indigo Safaris. I organise tailor-made trips to Tanzania and Zanzibar.

I am definitely intrigued now. When someone has two weeks to send there where would you recommend an experienced diver go? Somewhere that also has land-based natural attractions.

I did two dives out of Stonetown. I thought they were so-so. OK reef diving, but nothing special. Although Stonetown had some charm, I found the touts and scammers quite tiresome. Just another tourist trap. I can't be bothered with that kind of thing anymore, no destination is worth it in my opinion. I quite liked Tanzania as a country though, especially these bits:

P26_zps1025abff.jpg

P65_zpsd862eaae.jpg

P93_zpsa2d33704.jpg

Africa is a daunting destination for many, even seasoned, travelers.
The news reports seen in the west are frequently bad to very bad, Ebola, Religious Wars, Kidnapping, Child abduction, starvation, etc.
Very little good news about the African continent is reported here in the west.
Few realize how big Africa is and how far away these problems are. Still that does not matter the apparent risks count against doing the trip.

I have lived in South Africa, and visited or worked in Kenya, Zaire, and Mozambique, my daughter while still at school went to Uganda, and the following year to South Africa. So I have some experience of the continent.
I am looking to holiday somewhere in Africa next year, I would love it to be Zanzibar but we shall see.
I am going to a dive show in the UK this weekend and I will see what is being offered for Africa.
Normally the choices are poor and the prices astronomic for whats on offer.
You cannot charge 7* prices in a country where the perceived labor, land, etc costs are very low and the risk profile is perceived to be high.
You must remember you are competing against established destinations like the Red Sea, Seychelles, Maldives, Philippines, Indonesia, etc.
Some are not that safe but their prices reflect that and the risk is perceived to be less.

Lets hope they will be some sensible prices on offer this time.
If not the wife and I will, in all probability, organize our own safari in South Africa, Kruger and Garden Route, and visit some friends there.
I might be able to slip in a dive trip to Mozambique, but the wife might be suspicious when I start to pack the dive gear.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

Kim
One of the great things about Africa is that almost everywhere has land based attractions, at least anywhere you would be likely to go.
Distances are huge and if you are not flying then everywhere takes a long time to get to.
Outside of the major cities infrastructure, e.g. roads, rail, etc is very poor, mobile phone access etc very patchy. These are 3rd world countries and it shows, South Africa is an exception with better roads etc than most.
However that is some of the charm of Africa, it is a beautiful continent with fantastic scenery, incredible wildlife, and an atmosphere that will stay with you forever.
However if you had only 2 weeks then it becomes a challenge. A good safari really needs at least a week, 10 days would be better. Add some beach time to unwind and your fortnight is gone.
I will look and see whats on offer for diving this weekend and update on the possibilities I have discovered.

I am definitely intrigued now. When someone has two weeks to send there where would you recommend an experienced diver go? Somewhere that also has land-based natural attractions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom