Tanks . . the good, bad and ugly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to link you to the exact article that TSandM linked - NWGratefulDiver's Gas Management article is very informative and will explain to you exactly what your buddy was meaning when he said you would "be a bad buddy for diving it" (a steel 72, that is).

What kind of exposure protection are you wearing (wetsuit or drysuit)? If you are diving wet, a big, heavy steel tank (like an HP130) may not be your best bet, though it may also not be an issue (without a drysuit, you don't have redundant buoyancy, so if you have a catastrophic wing failure, you need to be able to swim your entire rig up to the surface and remain above water without help from your wing).

As a small girl (5'2"), I dive an HP130. If I wanted a smaller tank, I would definitely buy an HP100. I love the buoyancy characteristics of both of these tanks (they both allow me to take a good amount of weight off my belt, versus an Al80) and I find that they trim out almost effortlessly. There are other tanks that I'd consider (like the LP95's mentioned above), but I don't have much/any experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom