Tanks in a bike-trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale and live on A1A (the main beach route) with dozens of great shore dives in my front yard.

The only problem is parking - often you have to take your chances in hotel lots or remember change to feed meters.

Biking is the preferred method of travel up and down the strand (1-7 miles max), and I was thinking about adapting a bike trailer for children to a two-tank carrier. They're built with a low center of gravity and they look roomy - two tanks and gear would be no problem.

Pros/Cons? Anybody seen anything like this?

Mike Jacobs

I can't see why there would be a problem doing this. Good idea and I sure wish I lived close enough to ride my bike to a dive spot.

Gear I wasn't wearing went on a rear wheel saddle. I wore one tank and the BC, with the second tank on one shoulder if needed.

If beach diving generally those are single dives, as you'll have to dig a hole to get below 17' off the beach between Pompano and Hollywood. Unless your air consumption really is out of bounds you'll have enough down time on a single bottle. 1.5 to 3 hours in the water at a time is enough for almost anyone before a lengthy rehydration break.

FT

Shep: GREAT site... I'm sure I can find something there, or at least an idea or two.

FredT: yup, one tank would do it for me, but I have to think about the lady lol... I prefer to dive in company!

Thanks all!

Mike

this is an excellent Idea, I live in london, and although a little impracticle for diving, this would be great to help me get my kit to and from the pool when im training and assisting! :)

i will definatly look into this!

The majority of those trailers will only support upto 100lbs. So, pack light...You might wat to check out a B.O.B. type trailer, they have them with Rubbermaid Action Packer crates on them or other syles as well. Could get a bit pricey (300-400bucks) but would be more durable. (Trust me, I sell them). Check out www.pedaler.com for more info.

Back
Top Bottom