Tankless water heater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

I will be replacing my water heater soon and I am interested in a natural gas tankless water heater. Can someone who has one or is familiar with them recommend a brand or model or even recommend against a brand or model.

I know folks in Europe have used these for quite some time so please advise.

Thank you,

couv

Can't recommend it as I don't have one or know any one who does, but the only brand I'm familiar with is Ranai (sp?). I looked at their web site a while back, but don't have gas available at my house without putting in a tank, which I don't want to do.

Some tips! I have been a life long student or off grid and alt energy. I spent a whole semester, full load in alt energy studies... SO here goes. They are great! BUT! First you need to get one much larger than you think you may need or you will have cold spots. The best way around this, esp considering where you live is to buils a "breadbox" water heater that preheats the water before it hits the heater. The commercial roof pannela are a waste of money. Few if any have a payofftime shorter than there life span. A breadbox is simply a used water heater tank in a three sided box with glass (think used sliding glass door) on the front. Most of the time it will do 90% of the heating for you even in cold climates. Then the ondemand heaters top it off.
If you dont want that route you can run one and if it's not enough, run a second in line or for a seperate section of the house.
Search on demand water heater for several good brands.

couv:
Hello,

I will be replacing my water heater soon and I am interested in a natural gas tankless water heater. Can someone who has one or is familiar with them recommend a brand or model or even recommend against a brand or model.

I know folks in Europe have used these for quite some time so please advise.

Thank you,

couv

Renai, Takagi, Rheem, and Bosch are all commonly distributed here in the states.

Wildcard's advice to size your tankless heater properly is correct. The most important sizing factors are your incoming water temperature and the number of hot water outlets in your home.

Something to watch out for... Most European plumbing systems utilizing tankless heaters do so with a point-of-use layout. This limits the amount of water wasted while waiting for water to reach the fixture at the desired temperature. Most American plumbing systems are piped linearly from a single hot water storage tank, and such a system may not be ideal for a tankless system. In such a home, the length of piping from the water heater, coupled with the delay of temperature rise from the tankless unit, may result in a considerable wait for hot water, and quite a lot of water wasted down the drain in the process. If I were building a typical two or three bath home, I would use two or more tankless units with a point-of-use layout, with each unit supplying, for example, two bathrooms, a kitchen and laundry room, or other practical zone configurations.

While attending a manufacturer's seminar last year for Rheem tankless heaters, I related the following experience to the rep: My very "Green" customer, a Naturopathic physician, decided to replace her conventional storage tank WH with a tankless system. After the installation, she found that the wait for hot water at the fixture most distant from the tank, the kitchen sink, had increased from 15 to 20 seconds to over a minute. Water piping had been added to move the tankless unit to an outside wall for economical venting (special triple-wall venting is over $100 per foot), and this, coupled with the unit's normal delay in raising water to the desired temperature, resulted in an unacceptable amount of water wastage. The rep's proposed solution? Install a circulating hot water system, a closed loop with its own pump, and a six to ten gallon conventional water heater, adjacent to the tankless system. He glowed with pride as he said that, clearly missing the irony that the "tankless" system needed a conventional tank, circulating pump, and additional piping to serve this home adequately.

Be aware, too, that the larger units are a sizeable BTU draw, and may require a gas supply larger than already exists in your home. The 13.5 gpm models are rated around 280,000 BTU's, and the gas piping needs to be sized accordingly. In some cases, a home will need a larger meter to adequately supply the tankless' gas demands. An undersized gas line will starve the unit, resulting in intermittent heating. Unskilled, untrained, or unscrupulous contractors commonly overlook such details. Your best protection would be to seek out a company experienced in tankless installations, ask for references, and then be sure your job is permitted and inspected by your local authority.

I'm not trying to discourage you here... I've seen a number of these systems working perfectly for happy customers. Proper sytem design and installation can overcome any pitfall, and will result in optimal function.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom