tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably depends on how much diving you plan to do

Should I buy a new scuba tank or a used one?
Pretty broad question. Things to consider are cost and availability, immediacy of need, and usability if you look at older AL tanks. With a new tank, you generally pay more. But, you can generally get the specific tank you want - material (AL or steel), size, manufacturer - when you want it, and the tank will have a current viz and hydro. It is ready to go. Set your gear up and just add water. With a used tank, you generally pay less. But, you may not be able to find the specific tank you want, at the time you want it, for a price that is reasonable. As an example, if you look on eBay today for used tanks, you will find a LOT of AL80s, a smattering of other AL sizes, only a handfull of steel tanks, and NO HP steels. (If you are diving open ocean, colder, depper waters, an AL80 may not be the tank you want.) You may find what you want, but the hydro / viz may not be current, and that adds to cost. With a used AL tank, you want to make sure the tank is not one of the older units made of a specific alloy that is particularly subject to failure - lots of threads on that on SB, no need to repeat here. I have nine tanks (6 AL, 3 HP steel) that I bought used, and six (3 AL, 3 HP steel) that I bought new. When I bought new tanks it was because it was convenient to do so - I wanted a particular tank, sooner rather than later, and couldn't find what I wanted used (e.g. a 6cf drysuit inflation bottle). I bought the used tanks in situations where I didn't need the tanks immediately, but came across a 'good deal', and knew I would use the tanks.

Last edited:
Should I buy a new scuba tank or a used one?

It depends on how much money you have. New is preferable because you get a warranty, you get one year of use before the visual inspection and 5 years of use before the hydro, and you don't have to worry about rust or damage.

There are older aluminum tanks out there that are suspect. Beware.

I started with four new AL80 tanks. Then, once I discovered that they suck, I sold them (at a loss, naturally) and bought four new HP-100 steel tanks.

Aluminum - buy a new one. They are robust and can take a lot of use. They're so cheap you can toss it and buy a new one if you need to. There's absolutely no point in buying a used aluminum cylinder, especially older ones.

Steel - buy Aluminum instead unless you have a good reason to buy steel.

Steel cylinders are higher maintenance and require more tender loving care.

If you have to buy a steel cylinder, a good used one is a lot cheaper than a new one. Make sure it has or will pass visual inspection and hydro as a condition for purchase.

Tanks are overengineered and last a long time if they're not abused. So if you can get a good price on a used tank and it passes the hydro, I say go for it.

Adam

make sure to price a hydro/viz/fill before committing to buying used. I have often seen old Al tanks being sold (especially by the uninitiated) for way higher asking prices than they are worth. for example let me illustrate with a fictitious example based on what I often see on craigslist:

brand new tank never used!!! My husband bought this before I kicked him out!! he paid 300$ 6 years ago and never used it once. A steal for only 200$!!!

UM NO!!! the tanks locally only cost 250 IIRC, and after 6 years it REQUIRES a hydro at 80$ my shop sells used tanks for appx 130 depending on how recent the testing is.

So buy what is right for you. If you find a deal, make sure the seller guarantees the tank will pass testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom