Tank ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fringefan

Registered
Reaction score
I am not an expert on reading tank number so I need to know if I am correct thinking this tank is the following

1. Aluminum
2. 6498 is the type of Aluminum US Divers Aqua Lung so I am assuming it is a Catalina
3. Rated 2475 pressure

I don't know what the cubic size is so any info would be a big help.

3AL DOT-SP 6498-2475 Z1272 USD 172 1087 5 95

I know enough about the 6498 that it is not a concern

Thanks

Without seeing the tank I can't say for sure what you've got but I'll take a shot.
3AL = Aluminum.
No it's not Catalina. I believe it was called an aluminum 72 made by Luxfer
With a service pressure of 2475 it's probably taller than an 80 but smaller diameter
The 6498 is the Special Permit number.
Z1272 is the serial number
1 72 is the original hydro date. 10 87 and 5 95 are also hydro dates.

Okay so I was a little off and yes it is taller:)

Is the tank worth buying? I thought that all Us Divers Aqua lung tanks where catalina's but due to the age I am assuming that this tank is made of 6351 Alum. I have not heard of many people using alum72's, what are they mainly used for besides the obvious. Thanks

Fringefan,

Here's how to read the top of those tanks.

Aluminum tanks
tank_read_alum_tank.gif

Steel tanks
tank_read_steel_tank.gif

one more pic
TankmarkingsWeb.gif

fringefan:
Is the tank worth buying? I thought that all Us Divers Aqua lung tanks where catalina's but due to the age I am assuming that this tank is made of 6351 Alum.

Yes its 6351 alum.

Its only worth anything if you have a shop capable of VIPing it properly and willing to fill it.

I beleive it's also what we used to call a "floater" -- it goes VERY positive when it's empty... A modern AL80 is bad enough...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom