Tank Valve Snorkels - Can I do without them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While putting on my new valve onto my tank, it broke in my hand while I was tightening it. I did not think I had tightened too much, not had I planned to. Either way, the snorkel that attaches to the end of the tank valve is broken.

I have just gone ahead and installed the valve anyways. My question is whether or not having the snorkel in will make a difference in performance? The only reason that I have heard it is there, is that if there is debris or corrosion in the tank, the flakes will not get caught in the valve. Is this the only reason or am I missing the larger picture?

MAK52580:
While putting on my new valve onto my tank, it broke in my hand while I was tightening it. I did not think I had tightened too much, not had I planned to. Either way, the snorkel that attaches to the end of the tank valve is broken.

I have just gone ahead and installed the valve anyways. My question is whether or not having the snorkel in will make a difference in performance? The only reason that I have heard it is there, is that if there is debris or corrosion in the tank, the flakes will not get caught in the valve. Is this the only reason or am I missing the larger picture?

The "snorkel" is commonly known as a dip tube. I would not use it like it is for long. You are correct it keeps debris and more importantly condensation from entering the valve and your reg. Although your tank may be clean and dry now after many uses it may accumulate corrosion particles and moisture. This will cause havoc with your regulator after a while.
I would continue to use it but get a dip tube soon and install it.
If the broken end is stuck in the valve a small eazy-out will remove it.

cheers,

wedivebc:
The "snorkel" is commonly known as a dip tube.

AhhA, yes. What he said. I just got my tanks back from a Hydro/Vis trip to the LDS and one of them had the "snorkel" rolling around inside when I got out to the lake! It will still dive ok, but not forever. Do get it fixed as recommended.

Yes, you do in fact need it. Most tanks will develop some dust or krap inside of it. The dip tube stops this stuff from ruining your first stage when you invert.

They aren't expensive. In fact if your shop has some old regs that are being scrapped you can get one for free!

Thanks all. Since they are new tanks, I am not worried about it for this weekend. I called Halcyon and explained the situation to them. They are sending me another one for free.

MAK52580:
While putting on my new valve onto my tank, it broke in my hand while I was tightening it.

When the dip tube came off the valve on my tank I found that fixing
it was a five minute job. I think if I was already at a dive site I might
still dive with the tank but I'd certainly fix it before I'd leave home to go diving again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom