Tank valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitefang21

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you use a high pressure valve on a regular aluminum 80? what are the positives and the negatives?

i know i probably have to change the burst disk

Last edited:
As long as it is a 3/4 neck tank and 3/4 valve then you can do it you are still limited to the tanks pressure spec. One negative is DIN valves may need an adapter that your local tank filler may not have readily available.

I prefer the convertible din/yoke valves on my big set of doubles over the 300 bars I have on my 95s just because it is less threads to screw the regs into and I seem have a better grip on the regs.

You should just be sure to have the proper burst disk for the tank the valve will be used with, which would be 5000 psi for an Al80.

Your answer depends on what you call benefits. Nothing is going to work better than the valve that came with the tank.. If you are going to use the tank outside of its design parameters then there are pro's and con's. I do not advocate using an AL tank in a way other than it was designed for.
Will I fill one to 3200??? Yes cause it cools to 3k of less at 70F. I have seen folks replace valves to hp valves and boost the burst disk to fill al tanks to 4k+. That scares me. Of course these folks do 200 ft bounce dives also. Now the other side of the equation . I really like thermo valves cause the air comes on gradually and takes a few turns to get it full on. however the rest of the valve is standard for the tank. I also do nt care for oms valves cause of the small o-ring surface and many times not being able to get a fill whip to seal.

i just want to replace the standard yoke valve to din. i am not looking to super boost the tank, i have this new HP valve sitting not doing anything and all my tanks are din except this one.

i just want to replace the standard yoke valve to din. i am not looking to super boost the tank, i have this new HP valve sitting not doing anything and all my tanks are din except this one.

You sure it's not a convertible valve?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just swap the valve and make sure you have the right burst disk installed.

Can you use a high pressure valve on a regular aluminum 80? what are the positives and the negatives?

i know i probably have to change the burst disk

What makes you call it a "high pressure valve?" There is no such designation in scuba. If it is a valve for a true HP tank, then it would be a 7/8 UNF 300 bar valve and it would not fit in an Al 80. If it is a 3/4 inch DIN valve, then it could be considered high pressure if it is a deep 300 bar DIN connection. Count the threads inside. If it has 7 threads, it is 300 bar. If it has 5 threads, it is 200 bar. They both can be used in your Al 80. You don't have to change the burst disk if you don't want to. The only disadvantages of the 300 bar valve are not being able to use an insert if someone with a yoke reg wants to use the tank, and screwing in those extra 2 threads can sometimes get a little tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom