tank & valve inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilmarie

Reaction score
HI:

I'M LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION I CAN FIND OUT ABOUT A CERTAIN TANK AND VALVE FITTING I FOUND TODAY. I AS OUT CRUSIN' AROUND WITH MY OLD MAN WHO HAS BEEN A DIVER FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND KNOW HAS HIS OWN DIVE SERVICE. THERE WERE ALL KIND OF YARD SALES GOING ON AND A SPOTTED A TANK. DANNY AND I WENT TO CHECK IT OUT AND WE PURCHASED IT FOR $10.00. THE PAINT WAS ALL FLAKING OFF SO WHEN WE GOT HOME DANNY CLEANED IT UP. THE TANK IS 72 CU. FT AND THE STAMP THAT IS EMBOSSED ON THE TANK SAYS HEALTHWAYS, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA MADE IN NOV. 1955 AND ON THE VALVE ITSELF IT'S STAMPED DACOR - SUPERIOR 5871. THE VALVE IS NOT A J VALVE OR K VALVE AND DANNY SAID HE'S NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE IT BEFORE. IF ANYONE MAY HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT A TANK LIKE THIS AND APPROX. HOW MUCH SOMETHING LIKE THIS MAYBE WORTH, PLEASE DROP ME A LINE. IT'S KIND OF FUNNY EVEN THOUGH I DON'T DIVE EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING ABOUT DIVING IS FASCINATING TO ME AND I WANT TO LEARN MORE AND MORE ABOUT. IF ANYONE COULD SHEAD SOME LIGHT ON THIS PARTIULAR ITEM IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. HOPE TO HEAR ROM SOMEONE SOON.

THANKS
LILMARIE :scubadive

lilmarie:
HI:

I'M LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION I CAN FIND OUT ABOUT A CERTAIN TANK AND VALVE FITTING I FOUND TODAY. I AS OUT CRUSIN' AROUND WITH MY OLD MAN WHO HAS BEEN A DIVER FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND KNOW HAS HIS OWN DIVE SERVICE. THERE WERE ALL KIND OF YARD SALES GOING ON AND A SPOTTED A TANK. DANNY AND I WENT TO CHECK IT OUT AND WE PURCHASED IT FOR $10.00. THE PAINT WAS ALL FLAKING OFF SO WHEN WE GOT HOME DANNY CLEANED IT UP. THE TANK IS 72 CU. FT AND THE STAMP THAT IS EMBOSSED ON THE TANK SAYS HEALTHWAYS, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA MADE IN NOV. 1955 AND ON THE VALVE ITSELF IT'S STAMPED DACOR - SUPERIOR 5871. THE VALVE IS NOT A J VALVE OR K VALVE AND DANNY SAID HE'S NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE IT BEFORE. IF ANYONE MAY HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT A TANK LIKE THIS AND APPROX. HOW MUCH SOMETHING LIKE THIS MAYBE WORTH, PLEASE DROP ME A LINE. IT'S KIND OF FUNNY EVEN THOUGH I DON'T DIVE EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING ABOUT DIVING IS FASCINATING TO ME AND I WANT TO LEARN MORE AND MORE ABOUT. IF ANYONE COULD SHEAD SOME LIGHT ON THIS PARTIULAR ITEM IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. HOPE TO HEAR ROM SOMEONE SOON.

THANKS
LILMARIE :scubadive

HI, LILMARIE, IT WAS WORTH $10 TO YOU :wink:

Seriously, please don't type in all caps. It makes it hard for us to read. Got a picture?

Early K valves had a 1/2" NPT thread and an inline valve stem, sort of like a medical O2 bottle.

I'd suggest posting a question here:

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/

Hi:

Sorry about all caps I won't do it again. It really doesn't matter how much it's worth it's just the thought of actually finding something that is in such good condition that was made in 1955. My old Man brought to the dive shop today to have it viped and tumbled and the gentleman at the shop was very surprised when he saw the tanbk. All he said was this tank is older than me and asked where we found it. I told him at a yard sale and he couldn't believe the condition of the tank either. Sorry I don't have a picture, but as soon as it comes back I definetly send you a picture. Thanks alot for the response, I really appreciate it. Catch ya around.

Thanks,
LilMarie

DA AquaMaster:

I just want to say thanks for the recommendation on the website you suggested. I keep in touch and let you know what I find out about the tank. It really doesn't look like a regular medical oxygen tank, but when I get a picture I'll make sure I send it your way. I also wanted to say the quote you posted really meant alot. keep in touch and thanks again.

Thanks,
LilMarie

SCUBA tanks from 1955 are not all that rare, I have two. One has a J valve, the other a K, but they do not look like the J & K valves of today. My valves are US Divers valves, I'm not familiar with Dacor valves from that era.

We call those valves Post K-valves. They are hard to replace so if it's good hold on to it since they are not made anymore. They only fit tanks with that thread.

Scott

Scott:

Thank you for the info on the valve. I try to learn as much as possible about the world of diving and I am seriuosly thinking of going to get certified. My old man has been diving for over 20 years and about 3 yrs. ago we opened up Danny's Dive Service. We're located in Central Jersey and things are really getting crazy right about now. Danny works as a full time marine mechanic and we do bottoms, prop & shaft inspections, zinc, etc. I really enjoy being out in the water when I was younger my Grandfather owned a boat house in Newark, NJ. and my Dad wouldn't miss one weekend of fishing. Now I go out on calls with Danny and basically I'm his partner. I have 2 boys Giovanni 10 and Johnathan 9 and they work the business with us. Gio just completed his Bubblemaker class and has been interested in diving for the longest. Question? Can I use a standard K or J valve? Thanks. Have a nice day!

Lilmarie

Good luck on getting certified and welcome to the underwater world. It's a great place.

That valve is the only one that will fit on those tanks. If you want to use a standard K-valve or a J-valve you will need to find a newer tank. The threads are different. If the old tank passes hydro and vip it should be good for years to come. I have on old steel 72 with a post K valve that I use now and then and it's as good as the day it was made.

Scott

Scottri:
Good luck on getting certified and welcome to the underwater world. It's a great place.

That valve is the only one that will fit on those tanks. If you want to use a standard K-valve or a J-valve you will need to find a newer tank. The threads are different. If the old tank passes hydro and vip it should be good for years to come. I have on old steel 72 with a post K valve that I use now and then and it's as good as the day it was made.

Scott

Scottri

Just received an e-mail on another board about the valve.

I might add that there was one other little characteristic of the "R" or restricted oriface reserve valve/regulator that helped lead to its demise. This is the fact that if the diver needed to descend before he could ascend, his/her air supply was effectively cut off. For those who were exploring shipwrecks, or in caves, this would be a very undesirable characteristic. That is probably one of the reasons Dacor moved away from these valves. I might add that there was one other little characteristic of the "R" or restricted oriface reserve valve/regulator that helped lead to its demise. This is the fact that if the diver needed to descend before he could ascend, his/her air supply was effectively cut off. For those who were exploring shipwrecks, or in caves, this would be a very undesirable characteristic. That is probably one of the reasons Dacor moved away from these valves.

Danny hasn't gotten the tank back yet, so it's just a question mark whether or not valve and tank passed inspection. Danny will e-mail you when he gets the tank back.

LilMarie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom