Tank type suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

Ares1590

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My current local diving needs/conditions are:

-decent walk up and down a steep hill to the water. The less dry weight I have to carry the better. Fresh water by the way. Lake.

-I don’t really need more air capacity than an al80. I’m never the lowest consumption person in the dive group so any more capacity will be unused. This may change over time but I don’t need much more my consumption is solid.

-being able to drop some weight would be nice by moving it to my tank. I normally need about 8 pounds so being able to remove that or lessen it would be nice compared to diving with Al80

-I’m gonna do my best to get used regardless of what I do

If it matters I’m 6 ft. Currently looking at LP85, HP80, and HP100. I’m not sure how the local shops are regarding overfills so let’s assume no overfills.

Definitely go with a small steel: I use the metric equivalent of a HP80 (a 10l 232 bar) whenever I have to hike to a site.

Switching from an Al80 to a HP80 means you can drop around ~5 lb lead from your belt, as you go from a positively buoyant aluminum tank (~ +3 lb when empty) to a negatively buoyant steel (~ -2 lb when empty).

The HP80 is noticeably smaller and lighter than a HP100, and if you don't need the extra air I would go with the 80.

Cheers
Rohan.

being able to drop some weight would be nice by moving it to my tank. I normally need about 8 pounds so being able to remove that or lessen it would be nice compared to diving with Al80
Do you dive with a BCD or BPW?

Moving away from a weight belt to a back plate makes life a lot easier.

+1 on a small steel tank.

Get the biggest capacity tank you can handle trim or no trim, keep the aluminium plate and do two trips

When I was 6ft and 180lbs I carried less weight than when I was 6ft and 260lbs and carried a touch more

LP85 is hard to beat.
Work on a little fitness and you probably won't need much weight beyond your BP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom