Tank storage for high-rise dwellers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember a story I read on the net about 10 years ago, probably on The Deco Stop. Someone lived in a condo and there as a TV in a common area. An old lady would go in and take over the remote and wouldn't share. It was her big screen, didn't share. The writer was a diver and took a set of doubles and labeled them 'poison gas' or something like that. Took it into the room with the old lady (I think the others knew what was going on?) and he cracked a valve and walked away. Now if I can find a link to that story, it was rather fun reading. Fun enough I remember it 10 years later.

I live in a condo. A few years ago after a too long break from diving, I decided I needed a pool refresher. I carefully read through all of our building rules and finding nothing to prohibit it, geared up and took the elevator down to our pool and had a nice 8' max solo dive. Nobody gave me any grief.

I live in a small studio and really needed a better way to stow away my tanks. Before building this rack, the tanks lived under my bed or got shuffled around from one area to another. This wooden tank rack has large locking casters under each corner which makes it very easy to roll around my studio and remove/replace tanks. It gets tucked away very nicely in the corner of my place and having the hangers on the side helps to keep things tidy and more centrally located. The rest of my gear gets placed in one 27 gallon storage tote, my drysuit and undergarments are in my closet currently but I am working on a low footprint rack to hang them up on.

Top rack: Blacktip Tech DPV , HP130 doubles, AL-6
Middle rack: Two AL-40 deco cylinders, AL-6
Bottom rack: Two AL-80 deco cylinders
IMG_1143.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg

I live in a small studio and really needed a better way to stow away my tanks. Before building this rack, the tanks lived under my bed or got shuffled around from one area to another. This wooden tank rack has large locking casters under each corner which makes it very easy to roll around my studio and remove/replace tanks. It gets tucked away very nicely in the corner of my place and having the hangers on the side helps to keep things tidy and more centrally located. The rest of my gear gets placed in one 27 gallon storage tote, my drysuit and undergarments are in my closet currently but I am working on a low footprint rack to hang them up on.

Top rack: Blacktip Tech DPV , HP130 doubles, AL-6
Middle rack: Two AL-40 deco cylinders, AL-6
Bottom rack: Two AL-80 deco cylinders
View attachment 712830View attachment 712829View attachment 712831View attachment 712832

Clearly you’re single or your spouse/significant other is also a diver!

Nice storage cart btw. How do you handle any water that drips off as everything dries?

The funny thing about storage units is that while they don’t allow scuba cylinders the place is littered w fire extinguishers.
I know they’re not the same but get this...
I wanted to store 4 12’s a while back for a short period. The manager at the storage place was a diver. Said, nope not allowed. But at one point the company that services and supplies the fire extinguishers there wanted to briefly store 25 of their tanks AND THEY COULDN’T!
He couldn’t work that out either but said if I’d have just put them in there w out asking no one would have said anything.
This was in England.

Clearly you’re single or your spouse/significant other is also a diver!

Nice storage cart btw. How do you handle any water that drips off as everything dries?
She has an open water cert but I have never been diving with her. She is a high alpine climber and has her own gear rack, it’s all about support!

I have the luxury of dropping all of my gear off at my office and hanging stuff up to clean/dry over a sloped wet floor. It really comes in handy through the dive season.

I got some wierd looks for my home brewery equipment.....

Tanks no one cares about

The funny thing about storage units is that while they don’t allow scuba cylinders the place is littered w fire extinguishers.
I know they’re not the same but get this...
I wanted to store 4 12’s a while back for a short period. The manager at the storage place was a diver. Said, nope not allowed. But at one point the company that services and supplies the fire extinguishers there wanted to briefly store 25 of their tanks AND THEY COULDN’T!
He couldn’t work that out either but said if I’d have just put them in there w out asking no one would have said anything.
This was in England.

Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness after than to ask for permission before.

Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness after than to ask for permission before.
That was me moving last time. Had 6 months of homelessness waiting for the new house to be built. Everything in storage, lived in a spare room in my uncles neighbor's house. The storage was a bit of an issue. Found so many places clearly listed stuff in the banned list. Found one place that did not have a clear banned list, in they went, around the corner where they were not easy to see. Nobody said anything because nobody saw anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom