tank size comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an OMS steel 112cu' LP with a fill rating of 2460psi. My buddy has an aluminum 80cu' 3000psi. which is holding more gas? how to calculate?
Les

Les, your tanks need 2640 psi in order to give you the 104 cu. feet. The 80's you speak of, are actually 77.8 cf. Unless they are the less common "super 80's" that give you a true 80 CF. Your 104 CF hold exactly 33% more air than the 78 CF. That equates to 33% more bottom time. However, if you use your tank's 2400 psi rating instead of the 10% overfill, your tank would hold only 94.5 CF, still more than 78 CF.
Don't let the pressure fool you. For example, I have a spare-air in the basement somewhere, with 3000 psi in it, yet it only holds 3 Cu. Ft.

Hope this helps, Jim

Les:
I have an OMS steel 112cu' LP with a fill rating of 2460psi. My buddy has an aluminum 80cu' 3000psi. which is holding more gas? how to calculate?

Les

You're kiding, aren't you? It is YOU. Your buddy only has 66cf at 2460 psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom