Tank rack for my new boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igoRluse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

I just got a new boat and am looking for some ideas for my tank racks. There is a decent size walkway off the transom so I would like to put the racks there out of the way of the passengers. Ideally, these racks would have to be lockable so that the tanks can stay on the boat when it is parked outside my house. I was thinking of sort of standard system with straps (stainless?) around the middle of the tanks with a sort of other hinged bracket that could be closed around the neck of the tanks and padlocked. Has anyone already thought of something like this before? Any suggestions?

chzzz,
igoR

What size tanks to you have?

igoRluse:
Hey everyone,

I just got a new boat and am looking for some ideas for my tank racks. There is a decent size walkway off the transom so I would like to put the racks there out of the way of the passengers. Ideally, these racks would have to be lockable so that the tanks can stay on the boat when it is parked outside my house. I was thinking of sort of standard system with straps (stainless?) around the middle of the tanks with a sort of other hinged bracket that could be closed around the neck of the tanks and padlocked. Has anyone already thought of something like this before? Any suggestions?

chzzz,
igoR

igoRluse:
100cuft steels. 2 of them.

More specific please?

Are they HP or LP
E7?

I'm working on a rack for my boat. I have some E-8 and LP tanks that are 8" wide.

You have two problems: holding the tanks, and security.
I suspect they will have separate solutions.

The tank ranks I like are the Roll Control from East Coast
Plastics. They are adjustable for size.
http://www.ecpdb.com/
There are pictures of how I mounted them on my Boston
Whaler: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

For security, a piece of chain and some padlocks.

IGOR,

I have worked up some drawings for a locking tank rack. I can not scan the drawing for some reason. PM me and I will mail you my drawings. The basic concept is to make a tank cover with 8" PVC pipe and an end cap glued on for a top. Mount a lock bar on the back side that sits into a lower saddle / shoe that is secured to the deck or swim plate. The top of the bar extends above the top of the tank and is secured to a I-bolt that is secured to the transom or side of the boat. (1) Slip the sleeve over the tank. (2) Position the base of the lock bar into the saddle and swing the top of the tank and lock bar into the upper bracket.

Scott

I've seen this on a few it works well whether its your own boat or somebody elses, this is the system i'll be using on my dads when its fanally done, the tank holder is one of those fold down ones so when it comes to getting your gear ready you just fold down the tank holder ten you can but your BCD on and everything from just under your seat sit down, loop your arms through and your off, you can put everything underneath the seat in a rubbermaid tub or proper gear bag, works best if its near the back of the boat but in a room so it doesn't get completly soaked before its supposed to, iv'e seen people have a diving room right at the back of a boat, compressor, tub to wash gear, everything to do with diving, so thats what this design is about, keeping all your gear in one place,

With the Roll Control racks, which is I think what you are
talking about, you don't even need to fold it down before
donning the BC. Put the BC on, lean forward, and it pops
out of the tank rack.

Pay attention to tank heights. Make sure it will work with
an HP80 (that one would have gotten me) and strap
heights on various BCs. If I were doing it over again, I'd
have two channels, separated by 3" vertically, to handle
the different strap heights.

The people you know have bigger boats than the people
I know. ;-)

I use a Roll Control on my boat, if you want to lock your tanks up, next time the tanks are empty put a neck ring on them, then put a cable lock through them and attach it to the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom