Tank questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Guess what! I am a newbie for the tank. So, I have some questions.

I am looking for the tank for both air and nitrox. Based on my search in this board, there is no mechanical difference between normal air (Scuba air) and nitrox tanks.
We can switch the tank from nitrox to air without any required steps. But, O2 clean service is required to switch from air to nitrox. Am I right?

So, all regular aluminum 80CF or 100CF tanks can be switched from air to nitrox after having O2 clean service?

Please let me know if I am still confused.

I find the Aluminum compact neutral tank that advertises -1.4 lbs ``negative`` (standard AL 80 is ``positive +4 lbs) buoyant at the end of your dive so that diver can take 5 lbs ``off`` your weight belt compared to a standard AL 80!
For nitrox tank, I find the Aluminum compact neutral tank: Proprietary 6061-T6 alloy, a balanced aluminum-magnesium-silicon blend exclusive to Luxfer. This alloy never requires an eddy-current inspection with devices such as Visual Plus, Visual Eddy, or equivalent machines. They are also -1.4 lbs ``negative`` (standard AL 80 is ``positive +4 lbs) buoyant at the end of your dive so that diver can take 5 lbs ``off`` your weight belt compared to a standard AL 80!

Some diver shops still refuse to fill a tank that is made of 6061-T6 alloy?

I am not sure if the air tank above can be technically switched to Nitrox tank after having O2 clean service?

In addition, please let me know if you know any good place to buy the tank by internet.

Thanks in advance

hoosier

hoosier:
Guess what! I am a newbie for the tank. So, I have some questions.

I am looking for the tank for both air and nitrox. Based on my search in this board, there is no mechanical difference between normal air (Scuba air) and nitrox tanks.
We can switch the tank from nitrox to air without any required steps. But, O2 clean service is required to switch from air to nitrox. Am I right?
For partial pressure blending, you need an O2 clean cylinder. Some shops accept manufacturer claims that their cylinders are already clean. If you want to use a nitrox cylinder for air, it will need to be O2 compatible air or the cylinder will need to be cleaned again for partial pressure blending.
hoosier:
So, all regular aluminum 80CF or 100CF tanks can be switched from air to nitrox after having O2 clean service?
Unless there is a reason it can not be O2 cleaned, it should be good to go. With banked nitrox, O2 cleaning is not needed.
hoosier:
Please let me know if I am still confused.

I find the Aluminum compact neutral tank that advertises -1.4 lbs ``negative`` (standard AL 80 is ``positive +4 lbs) buoyant at the end of your dive so that diver can take 5 lbs ``off`` your weight belt compared to a standard AL 80!
For nitrox tank, I find the Aluminum compact neutral tank: Proprietary 6061-T6 alloy, a balanced aluminum-magnesium-silicon blend exclusive to Luxfer. This alloy never requires an eddy-current inspection with devices such as Visual Plus, Visual Eddy, or equivalent machines.
The latest from Luxfer is that a Visual Plus 3 machine is useful on 6061 cylinders.
hoosier:
They are also -1.4 lbs ``negative`` (standard AL 80 is ``positive +4 lbs) buoyant at the end of your dive so that diver can take 5 lbs ``off`` your weight belt compared to a standard AL 80!
Check the in air weight of the cylinder. You will find it is heavier. You will also find that the cylinder needs to go to 3300psig to reach rated capacity, which may be a problem. If you need a negative tank, go steel.
hoosier:
Some diver shops still refuse to fill a tank that is made of 6061-T6 alloy?
Actually, 6061 is just fine. 6351 is the alloy that is often refused.
hoosier:
I am not sure if the air tank above can be technically switched to Nitrox tank after having O2 clean service?
Luxfer claims their cylinders come from the factory clean.

Don's answers are right on. To further clarify:

1. Any tank with current visual and hydro inspections can be filled with air or banked Nitrox at any time.

2. To be filled with Nitrox via partial pressure blending, the cylinder must be O2 clean. To remain O2 clean, the cylinder must only be filled with Nitrox or Nitrox-compatible filtered air every time.

3. If you do fill an O2 clean tank with air from a suspect source, it is no longer O2 clean! You may still use it as an air or banked Nitrox tank but must have it cleaned again before getting a partial pressure Nitrox fill.

4. To disregard these rules puts you and those who fill your tanks at grave risk!

5. This all should have been covered in your EAN Nitrox course. You are certified to use Nitrox, right?

theskull

theskull:
Don's answers are right on. To further clarify:

5. This all should have been covered in your EAN Nitrox course. You are certified to use Nitrox, right?

theskull

Thanks for your input. Yes, I am a certified Nitrox diver, but it doesn't mean that I am an expert on this matter. I am still learning from your valuable comments and experiences.

I go back and forth between (air) and nitrox all the time. I don't get my tanks O2 cleaned in between. The way to solve this is to only get Hyper air put in your tank for your air fills. This is still 21% O2 or air, it's just gone through one more filter. This way it does not compromise your O2 cleaned tank. My tanks are all good to go up to 40% O2 if I choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom