Tank prices? Need to pick your brains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking for new tanks. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive source? I'm leaning towards AL80s. I've already check LP & scubatoys. Can the prices get any better, or is that about the bottom?

I can tell you, even in the volume we buy, I can't really get them below our 124.95 price. I had a military order of 250 tanks - and we could only trim off about 5 bucks a tank on that kind of order. Perhaps someone in California can do better due to shipping costs.

And watch that too... I've seen sites that charge extra premiums for shipping tanks that will add on another 10 dollars over the actual shipping - so make sure you get your qouted price on the delivered price.

scubatoys:
I can tell you, even in the volume we buy, I can't really get them below our 124.95 price. I had a military order of 250 tanks - and we could only trim off about 5 bucks a tank on that kind of order. Perhaps someone in California can do better due to shipping costs.

And watch that too... I've seen sites that charge extra premiums for shipping tanks that will add on another 10 dollars over the actual shipping - so make sure you get your qouted price on the delivered price.

Thanks for the info. That seems to be the going price, no matter where I look.
Larry

I would check around and see if a local dive shop knows of any used tanks that may be for sale. AL tanks can often be had for $60-$75.

Steel tanks can also be found at great prices with Steel 72's selling for around $50 with a fresh hydro and VIP. I bought two sets of 5 year old Faber tanks with a new hydro, VIP and DIN Valves for $100 a piece for the first set and $125 a piece for the second set.

E-bay is an option but not really a good one. If the seller is upfront and honest on shipping costs you can sometimes get a good deal. Shipping should be under 25.00) but some sellers charge upwards of $40 - find out in advance.

E-bayed tanks seem to go for more than they are worth if they have a current hydro and VIP and carry a substantial risk of failing either if they are not current. Hydro costs also vary. We charge $15.00 for the hydro and VIP and $5.00 for just the VIP. LDS's mark the hydro up substantially if you go through a shop.

Interesting reading all your various opinions. I just found a used AL80 (guy used it for paintball ONLY--like new condition) with yoke valve for $60, and I can have BOTH hydro AND VIP ( and a free fill) for an additional $25, making it a total price of $85...

But based on all the previous posts, most of you seem skeptical about this type of situation where you purchase the used tank in "unknown" condition, and have the VIP/ Hydro done independently?? Looks like deals CAN be found for used tanks that ARE in Hydro/ VIP without your having to "worry" about the "running around"??

I guess it really boils down to:
"What's your time worth" in the search??

Just my .02 worth...
HMB

HarleyB:
Interesting reading all your various opinions. I just found a used AL80 (guy used it for paintball ONLY--like new condition) with yoke valve for $60, and I can have BOTH hydro AND VIP ( and a free fill) for an additional $25, making it a total price of $85......

But if it is a pre 1998 AL 80 made by anyone except Catalina, it is still IMHO not worth it. Tehre is a reason Luxfer did the exchange and why the DOT has a safety notice out on the tanks.http://www.connected.bc.ca/~baquatics/explode.html

I routinely purchase out of VIP/Hydroed tanks for $25. I get my hydros done for $8.50, and I am certified to do the VIPs.

pasley:
But if it is a pre 1998 AL 80 made by anyone except Catalina [/url]

I thought it was pre 1988? I think there were a few other manufacturers who were still using the 6531 aluminum alloy until around 1990 and the records aren't real accurate so I wouldn't buy an AL tank from before 1990 myself.

Like someone else said before, we have new Catalinas here locally for $109 in assorted flavors so I wouldn't buy a used AL. period. Just wouldn't be worth it since the news ones are so cheap.

BrianM:
I thought it was pre 1988? I think there were a few other manufacturers who were still using the 6531 aluminum alloy until around 1990 and the records aren't real accurate so I wouldn't buy an AL tank from before 1990 myself.

Like someone else said before, we have new Catalinas here locally for $109 in assorted flavors so I wouldn't buy a used AL. period. Just wouldn't be worth it since the news ones are so cheap.
I sit corrected. You are quite right. 1988 was the date with some other companies going on until 1990. http://hazmat.dot.gov/rules/not99_11.htm

Fortunatly here in California we can buy new tanks anytime for $109.00 but that is not the case everywhere. I once had discussion with someone in the bay area before a certain chain opened there. Best price in the area was $135.00.

Back
Top Bottom