Tank newbie..scubapro doubles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elkfriend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks,

I am a tank "rookie" and am looking for some insights. I picked up these scubapro doubles, the seller says they are are 80cu LP Steel, but somehow they look much bigger!

Also, the valve on them is a good chunk bigger - to a point where one of my first stages (vintage Dacor - 1982) does not fit over the valve to connect!

Questions:
-how can I find out how big those tanks really are? The markings do not make a lot of sense to me (M8803 97/8522/ 056 184/DOT - 3AA-2400 REE 70 04 - 97+ SCUBAPRO)
-they come as doubles (with a connection bar), but can also be used as singles (what I am doing)... what are the uses for such tanks typically (I was planning to use them for shoredives, but they are heavy)
-they look pretty cool, the diameter a bigger that the AL tanks that the LDS typically rents

ANyways, any insights, ideas or comments are welcome!!

cheers
Chris

The markings do identity them as LP steel tanks. The REE number 70 makes me think they are a little bigger than 80s, but I really don't know. The exact diameter and height might help someone identify them. If they are bigger in diameter than AL80s but also a little shorter, they might be LP95s, which are 8" in diameter and around 24" tall. You'll have to take the boot off to measure the height of the tank.

Post a photo, someone will know.

The usual:

M8803 == Faber
97/8522/ 056 == 97 year made, 8522 batch, 056 number in batch
184 = 184 bar working pressure, should also be a TC marking for Transport Canada
DOT 3AA == steel
2400 == 2400psi working pressure plus 10% with "+" hydro
REE 70 == rejection elastic expansion amount for "+" hydro
04 - 97+ == hydro
SCUBAPRO == Faber made cylinders for scuba pro.

Unfortunately, it was only recently that the capacity was stamp on the cylinder as such one has to figure it out via measurements. Back in the day ScubaPro was importing 80cu lp cylinders. They should be around 7" in dia. The were very negative as I recall. But you say they are large diameter than a typical AL80 which is 7.25' in dia. So as suggested above they could be lp95s which are 8.0" in dia and shorter than an AL80 by a couple of inches. I can not remember ScubaPro importing a larger cylinder such as a LP108 which is about the same height as AL80.

To get the height you do not need to take the boot off as there is hole in bottom so to measure how far the bottom of the cylinder sits above the ground. However, it would be a good idea to remove the boot though to see if there is any salt and rust.

As for the valve, more than likely it is a pro-valve. As such, there is an insert in them that can be removed with a hex wrench. With the insert in Yoke, remove it an they valve is DIN. Which is why it is a bit bulkier than a std Yoke. When you break them down rather buying new valves you can remove the isolator and and replace them with plugs. Of course that does not help with your reg fitting. Just us that as an excuse to buy a new one :).

Last edited:
I'd bet they're LP95/98's. I know they're NOT Scubapro LP 76's 'cause I own a twinset of those and they are tall (like an AL80) and thinner in diameter than an AL80, I don't remember the exact diameter, but they are almost identical (and maybe identical in diameter) to the 6.9" diameter of my LP Faber 85's. If they were LP 80's they'd be rather short and stubby....without more info I'm gonna guess LP95/98's.

Excellent stuff, thanks a lot. As always, this forum and peoples responsiveness is great, thank you!

Chris in Calgary

Scubapro sold some "slim line" 72's that were 6.0" in diameter and about 26" tall.

They had a steel 75 that was 6.9" in diameter and was basically a more modern version of a steel 72 with a 2400 psi working pressure.

They also sold a short (about 20-21" tall) 3000 psi steel 72.

Finally they sold a 2400 psi LP 95 that was 8" in diameter and about 24" tall.

All of them were galvanized and could be had in unpainted, white or black finishes.

If you send me the dimensions, I can look it up in the faber data base and tell you exactly what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom