"Tank lift" regulator recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach both reg retrieval methods. It's in the standards of the agencies I teach so I have to, but I always make it clear to students that they should stick with the one they find easiest both during the course and after certification - which as many other have already pointed out is generally the sweep method. I also make it clear their alternate is also there to be used if need be.

In terms of teaching technique for the reach method, I usually get students to lean forward and lift up their BC by the left shoulder, making the regulator hose higher and much easier to grasp with the right hand. This also works when swimming in a horizontal position, only the need to lean forward is eliminated in that instance.

I hadn't really thought about the "You just got tumbled. Now you are maskless, finless and without your regulator. You are clinging to a reef which has cut through your wetsuit in two places and is digging into your flesh." situation.

Get a sea cure custom mouth piece. I am missing a couple teeth so the mouthpiece literally is locked in. You hit my mouthpiece and the reg is not coming out without part of the jaw and some teeth. I have never had it get knocked out accidentally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom