Tank ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah! Any idea what the 8*84 stands for? I thought that was the born on date.

I cant remember off the top of my head, they dont come very often, but i think the working pressure is 2600? The 8*84 is probably a hydro date. If its in line with manufacturer / serial number then its the first hydro date

DOT-3AA-3000 3aa == steel 3000 working pressure

777671 Serial number

7/77+ plus indicated 10% over fill. i.e. can be filled to 3300psi

8/84 5/90 5/95 9/00 are all subsequent hydro dates (RIN is the 4 numbers between the month and year)

When you get a new hydro ask for the + however you are going to need to find the REE value for the shop.

Last edited:
I'll just dive it. That'll tell me if it's closer to the 72 or the 100. I hope it's nice and negative throughout the dive.

I thought I might provide a side by side for comparison.

With valves at the top, far left is the tank in question, middle is the lp 72, and right is the hp 100.

It looks to be about the same height as the 72.

If it's the same size as a 72, that would make it an 80 at 3000 and a 90 at 3300.

Bob
------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

If it's the same size as a 72, that would make it an 80 at 3000 and a 90 at 3300.

Bob
------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.
Any clue what the buoyancy characteristics might look like?

Get it filled to 3300 psi and put into a bucket of water large enough that it can sink. Tie a string to the valve and attach to a fish scale. See what it says.

Do the same when empty. If it floats add weight until it sinks.

The weight difference will also give you an idea of the air capacity.

Back
Top Bottom