Tank Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Well this post really helps me with scuba tanks. Thanks for all the new info.

Ed

I cannot see anywhere in my post where I inferred anything about your ethnicity...I just used your name and a part of the Rubiyat to make a play on words...to lighten things up a bit. Goodness, I never imagined you would see some sort of slur in it: I sure did not!

There are a variety of translations, some more elegant than others, of the Rubiyat. I used a shorter one for reference. If you read Farsi(and I have no idea whether you do or not), you surely know that Fitzgerald's translation is "artistic" and not literal.

Further, if you will check various references, you will see that Omar the Tent Maker is referred to as both Al-Khayyam and Khayyam. For example, we usually refer to Kuwait as Kuwait, but on many Middle Eastern maps, it is referred to as Al Kuwait. Again, I have no idea what your ethnicity is, but perhaps you know what "Al" means in Middle Eastern languages...as in alembic, alcohol, alchemy, etc.

Have a look at this site:

http://classics.mit.edu/Khayyam/rubaiyat.html

and this one:

http://tehran.stanford.edu/Literature/Poetry/Omar_Khayyam.html

Joewr... and ....

There is a *huge* difference in "design life" and "service rating" - for example, an airplane may be *designed* to withstand 10,000 cycles at 10 G's, but be *rated* or have a working load of 7 G's.
High pressure cylinders are much the same - designed to withstand cycles at greater than their working pressure. That does *not* mean, however, that the working pressure or service rating are numbers pulled out of a hat with no meaning. LP Fabers are designed to work at 2400 psi, with a 10% overfill allowed so long as hydro meets the 10% over criteria.
When in an emergency the 7G airplane gets pulled to 10 G's, it eats up the airframe life at an accelerated rate and requires a special inspection. High pressure tanks are much the same - for example, my steel 72 that's 30 years old has been accidentally overfilled to 3000 psi [working pressure is 2250] from time to time by an inattentive shop rat and continues to pass hydro and remain in service. This kind of occasional excursion into the "design" zone is precisely why the design is there. There is no doubt, however, that even these occasional overfills have shortened the ultimate life of the tank.
And just like in the airplane example, it only takes *one* catastrophic failure to cause great damage and likely loss of life.
I stand by my statement that advising the overfilling of LP steel tanks is BAD ADVICE, no matter how common the practice.
----------------------
O, as for your taking offense at Joe's wine bottle comment, you have *got* to be joking! If your skin is that thin you're in for a mighty lot of unecessary "hurt feelings" in your life. Suck it up, lad, be a little tougher.
Rick

Folks,

Back in another life I worked with high pressure vessels that were used, in the main, for hydrogen and hydrocarbons. And, like scuba tanks, our vessels required inspection on a regular schedule. Since the vessels normally contained very flammable mixtures at temperatures in excess of 700 deg f and pressures between 1500 and 10000 psig, failure during operation was not an option!

And we never had one. However, we did have occasional failures during hydrostatic testing, and these were never reported to anyone...except to our own people. There was no "need" or requirement to do so. This may be the case with scuba tanks, too. And I confess ignorance here...if there is a failure of a tank during hydro, is there some sort of reporting protocol? I have no idea.

I am certain that all of you know that hydrostatic testing is used instead of compressive testing because it is safer. Since there are no compressed gases, any failure during testing will usually just lead to a rather undramatic leak...

Just a thought...

Joewr...

Omar,

I am not familiar with that particular verse from the Rubiyat. Could you recite it for me?

Actually, it would have to be a very fanciful translation since corn is a "new world" vegetable and was not known to Khayyam or any other ancient Persian.

Joewr...

Well I didnt expect to see a war starting in the Tanks section.

to start - I am sure Joewr never meant any offense with what he has said - if you know Joewr he's always trying to add a little play-on-words in posts and most of the time he pulls it off well...this time maybe not so - but no offense was intended.

However, it interests me that you are actually bothered that an implication was made that you are Arabic and/or Muslim......I know that Joewr is not one to be prejudice...however, it would appear your the one who feels prejudice in some respects for being so alarmed that this might be implied.

Anyhow, I think this was a huge misunderstanding and I hope this thread can continue or remain as it is so it can continue to be informative to others who may join it.

Hello,

Well take that as a lesson. What you posted was a HUGE liability issue; I even consulted a lawyer friend of mine before posting what I did.

We cannot have this type of situation from happening.

Yes one of my posts was edited/deleted and you will NOT hear a complaint from me about it. The bottom line is scubaboard.com acted in a reasonable and responsible manner, which I cannot say for your post.

Ed

p.s. joewr, he (omar) is just stirring trouble as there's no real evidence of his claim (the racial bit), he's just had a blow to his ego for acting irresponsible.

It's another TANK WAR! AAAiiieeeeeeeeeeee............

:tease:

Yeppers, and I ain't gonna charge for that one either... (that's how you REALLY get paid Abby)

Just another STROKE of good luck...

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom