Tank help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only comment on this situation is this:
As far as AL80 costs go. I recently purchased an AL80 from my LDS. It had the pretty commercial grade finish :D, a DIN valve with the screw-in yoke converter, and a boot. It cost me $164 and change(thereabouts). That is fairly consistent with tank prices, at least, around here.
Just save yourself the headache, and get a new AL. Around here, at least, I don't know of a shop that would fill it.
As far as the integrity of the alloy, I leave that to those with far more knowledge and experience.

Thanks very much, thats all I need to know. Turns out he was also using it for paint ball, so I don't imagine he would have had the same respect for the tank as someone who puts the trust of their life into it.

It is worth whatever scrap Aluminum is worth. Most shops won't fill it for you. It is pretty much irrelevant how slim the chances of SLC are, These tanks have been shun by the dive community. Even if you find a shop that is willing to fill it for you, it won't do you much good when you go to another shop in a different location and they won't fill it for you. I ended up scrapping 3 of these such tanks even though i know of 1 shop that WILL fill them, the rest of shops in the places I dive will NOT fill them.

Thanks very much, thats all I need to know. Turns out he was also using it for paint ball, so I don't imagine he would have had the same respect for the tank as someone who puts the trust of their life into it.

yeah but it would kill the guy filling it just as quick.... ( SLC issues can happen when the tank is being filled.)

Back
Top Bottom