Tank for sale, good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the buoyancy characteristics of an aluminum 100, or the overall size. I got rid of the one aluminum 100 I bought so fast it was hard to believe. Your best bet would be to spend your money on two steel 100 tanks, especially if you dive in the ocean. Just my opinion from my experiences.

Your best bet would be to spend your money on two steel 100 tanks, especially if you dive in the ocean. Just my opinion from my experiences.

Tanks have resale value unlike most dive gear. Buy a wet suit for $250, and you could sell it for $40 in a year. Buy a tank for $250, and you could sell it for $240 in a year. I bought the steel 100's like what Diver's Direct has on sale. Yep, I shelled out $250 each, but if I should sell out, the real cost of ownership will be a lot less.

DU and Gypsy both do bank fills on nitrox so O2 cleaning is not needed. It does have a DIN valve on it which may or may not be a problem. If your reg is not set up for DIN , you will have to replace the valve (or maybe an insert- can't see the valve well enough) but in any case if your regs are not DIN, then you will have to buy something extra. For what it's worth, you can get new AL-80s locally in the $150 range which come with the valve you need, vip,hydro and 10 air fills ($50 value). The 100 is nice off shore but not needed for the quarries.

There was a typo in the add, it is a yoke valve (what I use). I think I am going to hold off, I am trying out AL100 tanks on an upcomming trip in Feb, I will see how I like them, and probably go with a AL80 for now and see if I want to go bigger, go with a steel.

To be honest, for now just rent or borrow tanks. They are a big expence with vis every year and hydros every 5, you can't travel with them and unless you dive a lot it's hard to make up the difference. Make tanks your last piece of gear.

I'm betting you'll like a 3442 psi yoke/din valve on a HP100 steel much better.

it's the sice of a AL80 (or real close), maybe a pound or two heaver, and you'll take about 6 pounds off your weightbelt. maybe more.

You can get them with the convertible DIN/yoke valves also that you can use with either type regulator.

Now... if you decide to buy that AL100 for lets say $100 bucks, then convert to steel later, you should have no problem selling it for about what you paid for (or even more). So not really like you'll go wrong with it if you just really have to have it.

To be honest, for now just rent or borrow tanks. They are a big expence with vis every year and hydros every 5, you can't travel with them and unless you dive a lot it's hard to make up the difference. Make tanks your last piece of gear.

Since capital scuba went out of business, does Fantasy Lake still rent tanks/do airfills? The reason I ask is if they do not rent, it is about a 40 minute drive from my house to the dive shop, easily eat up the a couple of gallons of gas each way, now I have an additional $12 for each trip, that adds up fairly quickly. As far as my last piece of gear, I planned on it, but I have fun cruising the adds on ebay and craigslist, incase the next great deal comes along. This add has been posted for a couple of months, just curious to learn how to spot a good deal.

Rumor is the air station will stay open...most likely someone on the NC board will have a better idea. Depending on where in Raleigh your at, Gypsy is not too far out of the way, only a mile or so from Capital. The rental is $7...your going to pay $5 for the air either way.

Rumor is the air station will stay open...most likely someone on the NC board will have a better idea. Depending on where in Raleigh your at, Gypsy is not too far out of the way, only a mile or so from Capital. The rental is $7...your going to pay $5 for the air either way.

correct me if I am wrong, Isn't gypsy a little bit of drive to FL? (I live west of youngsville). I though capital had a shop at FL that did airfills. (for $10 or somthing like that)

Your northwest of Raleigh, I am south, so it is some back tracking for you.....Capital= Capital Blvd..not dive shop..sorry about the confusion. $10 was for the rental for the day and the first fill, all other fills were $5 although most of the time Dave just traded tanks instead of filling "yours".

gotcha, thanks, I did my pool training at Gypsy, so I know it was about 40 minutes (on a good day, capital bld can be my worst nightmare during rush hour). Hopefully they keep that air station open out there, easy money for them with a captive audience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom