Tank Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised they didn't just spin off the valve and look inside, and then let you look, too.

Then again, maybe I'm not suprised...

Nope. They never let me take a look in the tank. They just said they'd mark it and look into the problem. Now that you mention it, I guess I'm not surprised by that either...

I did not ask, I just dumped the air and removed the valve. Pretty nasty inside.

:rofl3:

only time I have heard about this was about 9-10yrs ago when a dive op was using steel tanks and rust particles got in the first stage. That one didn't end well. I haven't heard of this happening with aluminum tanks though.
Also, I thought the reason most dive ops in Caribbean use aluminum was because they were less likely to have issues in the hot, humid climates. :confused:

looks like Coz has more to worry about then . . . well . . . NVM . . .

Aluminum tanks can certainly do oxidize and have problems. Initially, the minimal oxidation can be helpful by creating a barrier to prevent further breakdown. When you get rental tanks and people who dive them 'dry', water can and will enter the tank. Then you get further oxidation/corrosion. Sure, it's less than steel - but it can and does happen. When you get significant corrosion, the metal can flake off as the corrosion works its way into the metal (called intergranular corrosion). This can cause the situation described.

This is EXACTLY why we do annual VIPs and use very DRY air with SCUBA - less moisture = less corrosion = safer tanks.

If the dip tube picked up debris from the inside of the tank it could stop the flow of air. After returning to the boat, closing the valve to remove your reg, the debris falls back to the bottom of the tank and it appears to flow fine.

The tank must have some debris inside. This has happened to me before.

Thank you. That's very good information. I have never heard of that happening before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom