Tank Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandisk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I experienced the following incident during a previous trip to Cozumel. No one I've talked to has ever heard of it happening. Any ideas/comments would be most welcome.

We were on our fourth day diving that trip, on a shallow afternoon dive, after having dived twice that morning. A few minutes into the dive, I noticed uneven delivery of air to my regulator. The problem gradually grew worse. I switched to my octo, but had the same problem. By about 15 minutes into the dive, the problem had gotten to the point that I could basically no longer get any air from my primary or backup regulators. I alerted my dive buddy, then used my Spare Air to surface. At the surface, I had to orally inflate my BC - no air supply. The boat came over and picked me up, no problem.

I immediately told the guys on the boat to mark the tank for inspection. They were sure it was my gear. I was sure it wasn't. My Atomic B2 has never let me down, and I've dived with it all over the world. Besides, I'd just had it serviced, as I do normally twice a year, having all internal parts replaced with new ones.

Long story short: Back on shore, we went immediately to the tech/repair people with my gear and the tank. They spent about a half-hour thoroughly checking, then pronounced my gear to be in perfect condition ("like new" they said). The next day, I dove with my same gear three dives, and the same for the rest of our stay without a single difficulty.

So what was the problem? The tank was almost full of air - I'd used little. My gear was perfect. One guy mumbled something about oxidation, but in an aluminum tank? No one could explain it.

Was this some million to one mishap? Any ideas out there?

Scandisk:
One guy mumbled something about oxidation, but in an aluminum tank? No one could explain it.

Was this some million to one mishap? Any ideas out there?

Aluminum tanks, if drained can take on water. This can result in Aluminum Oxidation which from what I've read creates a thick goo. If that clogged the tank value, that may explain your problem.

Most times I've read about this, the goo is in the primary, but I don't know why it could not just clog the tank valve, and never enter the 1st stage.

sorry if this sounds too obvious but was the valve fully opened?

Also very obvious but your story doesn't say - back on shore after you removed your reg from the tank, did you open the tank valve to see how much, if any, air came out? It doesn't seem to hard to isolate the components to figure out which was causing the problem.

No apology necessary. The valve was indeed fully opened (I've been a stickler for that ever since I saw a girl almost drown on a dive in Malta - she'd only opened her valve about a third of the way and her air supply stopped cold on her).

Yep, the first thing I did back on the boat after removing my rig was open the valve on the tank - it appeared to work fine, blowing out a solid, uninterrupted flow of air.

Hmm. I guess that could explain it... but I do wonder why it would cause intermittant (and declining) air flow while diving, then work full blast with my rig removed...

If the dip tube picked up debris from the inside of the tank it could stop the flow of air. After returning to the boat, closing the valve to remove your reg, the debris falls back to the bottom of the tank and it appears to flow fine.

The tank must have some debris inside. This has happened to me before.

That makes sense. And you're the first person I've come across who had a similar incident. Just curious - did yours happen in Cozumel also?

Nope, it happened many years ago here in SoCal, with a rented tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom