Tank decision: 120HP vs 130HP Worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dirt dart? I must have too much body fat. With a ss backplate and a 3mm shorty I needed 4# to stay down at the end of my dive with my faber 100.

A dirt dart?

That is what guys with the 'bull winkle' or 'dope on a rope' badge call paratroopers in the Army.

It wasn't our fault those chose a means of getting to the battle that involved a cool way to get in, but you had to walk a lot after that.

Well I had settled on a 120. But then I read onespeed's post above. I can't think of any place that rents 120's and 130's...maybe fill express. But I will probably go 120 for the reasons stated in my last post. If I don't like I know I can sell a 120HP real quick for a small loss and get a 130.

If you are 6'4 120 should be perfect for you. I'm 6' and HP100 I dive are on the short side for me. 130 will not really give you much more gas but it's heavier and bulky. I would not rush into "upgrading to 130".

If you are 6'4 120 should be perfect for you. I'm 6' and HP100 I dive are on the short side for me. 130 will not really give you much more gas but it's heavier and bulky. I would not rush into "upgrading to 130".

For a mere $20.00 more I wouldn't call it a huge upgrade, from an extra gas standpoint I would. I'm 6'2" so neither tank is an issue for me but I find the shorter 130 easier to carry on land and more comfortable to dive (not sure what the bulky comment is based on). While 5lbs. heavier on the surface (big deal) if you look at the chart below you'll see both tanks have very similar buoyancy characteristics in the water. As I said before, I own both, I wish someone had talked me into 130's over 120's when I made my tank purchases.

X7 Steel 120 3442 7.25 28.0 38 - 11.0 : - 2.0
X8 Steel 130 3442 8.00 25.5 43 - 11.7 : - 2.0

For a mere $20.00 more I wouldn't call it a huge upgrade, from an extra gas standpoint I would. I'm 6'2" so neither tank is an issue for me but I find the shorter 130 easier to carry on land and more comfortable to dive (not sure what the bulky comment is based on). While 5lbs. heavier on the surface (big deal) if you look at the chart below you'll see both tanks have very similar buoyancy characteristics in the water. As I said before, I own both, I wish someone had talked me into 130's over 120's when I made my tank purchases.

Bulkier might not be the right term, fatter would be good to say. Extra gas is just 20 cuf for doubles. that's less than 10%, not a big deal.

The beauty of a longer tank is that it counterbalance the weight of the manifold with the regs and the upper band that tent to make you head heavy, and makes trimming simpler. Personally I have problems putting something more than 200g on my legs as they become more buoyant and difficult to counterbalance while diving HP100. With longer tanks it's always easier to balance them as you have some space to move them up/down still being able to reach the manifold.

I wish I was aware of that when I was buying the tanks , I would have got either LP85 or HP120.

P.S. Later noticed that the OP was talking about a single tank, still the same principles apply, unless you do not care about being able to close the valve.

Bulkier might not be the right term, fatter would be good to say. Extra gas is just 20 cuf for doubles. that's less than 10%, not a big deal.

The beauty of a longer tank is that it counterbalance the weight of the manifold with the regs and the upper band that tent to make you head heavy, and makes trimming simpler. Personally I have problems putting something more than 200g on my legs as they become more buoyant and difficult to counterbalance while diving HP100. With longer tanks it's always easier to balance them as you have some space to move them up/down still being able to reach the manifold.

I wish I was aware of that when I was buying the tanks , I would have got either LP85 or HP120.

P.S. Later noticed that the OP was talking about a single tank, still the same principles apply, unless you do not care about being able to close the valve.

From a trim standpoint I notice no difference between the 120 and the 130, I do find the 130 to be slightly more comfortable to dive than the 120 as it is a bit shorter. As for the 130 being "fatter" .75 inches more diameter is hardly a big deal at all, certainly nothing you notice while diving.

To the Op, do you plan on getter any bigger?...if so, get the 130, if not, I'd go with the 120.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom