tank carrier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelekealoha

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there--
I'm sure this question's been asked a million times, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to carry my cylinders in the back of my pickup truck. I've gotten sick of tying them down with bungees and rope, and I'm thinkin about making my own rack to hold up to 4 cylinders at a time. Any suggestions?

Oh, I should note that i have a tonneau cover on the bed of my truck (made of fiberglass) that prevents anything taller than 22 inches from standing up. So the tanks would have to be laying down, not sitting upright.

i don't know about your truck but mines and most I've sen have a cut out in the bed or bed liner that are made to fit a 2" board. I cut a 2x6 that fits into these slots. It is parrellel to the tail gate and about 18" away. Perfect to fit up to 4 tanks lying down. Just put a towel between them and they are stowed very tightly.

Kelekealoha:
Oh, I should note that i have a tonneau cover on the bed of my truck (made of fiberglass) that prevents anything taller than 22 inches from standing up. So the tanks would have to be laying down, not sitting upright.

I saw a large black hard plastic box in Lowes the other day and it will accomodate at least 4 tanks. It locks too. It'll hold 80's easily.I have a Ford F150 and this will work on mine. Depending on what type of truck you have it may work on yours too. I'll PM you with pics later today.

Brian

Use a couple of 2x2's as upper and lower rails.
Attach some 2x4's on 9-1/4" centers to the rails. Works with 7.25 and 8" tanks.

the K

I had that problem too. Also I was afraid that someone would steel my gear out of the back. So I never stooped on the way home from a dive. I fixed the problem though. I soled the pick up and got a SUV.

I use some short pieces of 2" Schedule 40 PVC and some rope.

Take one piece of rope and 4 pieces of PVC pipe(more if you want to hold more than 3 tanks) Cut the PVC the right length for your tanks. If you have boots on the tanks make the PVC short enough so it doesn't extend below the boot. Drill two holes in the PVC. One on each end approximately 2-3" from the end. Then run your rope through the holes and adjust the lent of the rope for fit. If your only tie knots in the end of the rope when you pick up the carrier the pipes slide down and it is more compact. I'll try to post some picture of mine.

:D

One picture is with the holder layed out the way you would use it and the other is when you pick up the holder and it collapses.

It just takes a little bit of tinkering to get the length of the rope right. It does however, hold tanks firmly in place. I do want to caution everyone who may make this and put their tanks in the back of their pick-ups. If your pickup bed is open put the tanks angainst the cab. Cause if you have to stop quickly or are invlovled in an accident you can't duck fast enough and the tanks will be in the cab with you.

I've seen this from various items left in the back of pickups just inside the tailgate:D

Joe

Scubatrooper:
One picture is with the holder layed out the way you would use it and the other is when you pick up the holder and it collapses.

It just takes a little bit of tinkering to get the length of the rope right. It does however, hold tanks firmly in place. I do want to caution everyone who may make this and put their tanks in the back of their pick-ups. If your pickup bed is open put the tanks angainst the cab. Cause if you have to stop quickly or are invlovled in an accident you can't duck fast enough and the tanks will be in the cab with you.

I've seen this from various items left in the back of pickups just inside the tailgate:D

Joe

Glad you got your pics up. PM sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom