Tank cap???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do most divers leave the cap around the neck of their tank during the dive, or do divers remove the cap completely before entering the water?

Thanks,

MG

Last edited:
Anything loose and floating like a tank cap in the water is frowned upon, because it's unnecessary and an entanglement hazard. That's the DIR line on tank caps.

Anything loose and floating like a tank cap in the water is frowned upon, because it's unnecessary and an entanglement hazard. That's the DIR line on tank caps.

Thanks,

The more I ask, the closer I get to understanding DIR....

Mike... :wink:

The more I ask, the closer I get to understanding DIR....

"Take the caps off" is pretty much every tech diver's take on tank caps. It did not start with DIR nor is it limited to DIR, even if it is DIR. I even advise OW divers to take them off during the dive for the same entanglement reasons.

Entanglement issues aside, if you take the cap along on the dive it gets wet, and when placed on the reg that moisture inside the cap ends up inside the reg, or at least inside the filter corroding things and turing everything a nice salty green.

Ted Cole's comment in Cave 1 was basically "If tank and reg caps are to keep things dry, why get them wet?"

Roak

Thanks for all your input, I tried looking for a post and came up short regarding caps. But now thanks to all of your input I've got several answers.

Once again thanks...

MG

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom