Tank bouyancy, help in comprehending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize I didn't say what I meant, I wont be removing 13 pounds of lead but won't the combined effect of removed weight and less tank weight be 13 pounds ??

Nope.
Think about it this way . . . you're floating, neutrally buoyant at 15' with an aluminum 80. That 80 is trying to push you up toward the surface with a force of 4 pounds of positive buoyancy, so in order to counteract that force, you have to wear 4 pounds of lead.

Now all other things being equal, if you removed the tank from your body, that four pounds of lead would have to be dropped to keep you from sinking.

Now you strap on a steel tank. The steel tank is 3 pounds negative. So all other things remaining equal, you'll have to drop another 3 pounds of lead to remain neutrally buoyant.

So all in all, you've dropped 7 pounds of lead to remain neutrally buoyant with the steel tank.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom