Tank Boot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolves64t

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody have anything to say about not using a tank boot? I dont really see the need for them. They are just to protect the paint right?

They can trap water and lead to corrosion (especially salt water). If you have a painted tank (like a yellow Al 80), the boot will help keep the paint from flaking off around the bottom.

If you're using Al tanks they're not at all necessary and do have some downsides.. for steel tanks they're handy cause steel tanks don't stand up on their own (round bottoms).

All my tanks are AL with flat bottoms. Even if I had steel tanks I wouldn't have a boot on any of them.

My tanks are all steel and have boots. I personaly would like to leave them off; however, they are required on most of the charter boats here in Jersey. When I got them I drilled a few drainage holes in the boots, and after a dive I remove the boots to rinse them to help prevent corrosion.

I took all mine off my Al tanks. But I put them back on for pool dive just to protect the pool a bit.

I had tank boots on all of my aluminums when I ran a charter boat. It saved a lot of maintenance on the gunwales and decks. Plus I had a Jacques Cousteau do one of those bc-over-the-head maneuvers once while I was distracted and the tank boot saved me from a fractured skull.
Tank boots on aluminum are are a great idea for pool and boat use. Otherwise they're superfluous. I have boots on my steel tanks even though they're potential rust points. I also remove my boots every few months and annihilate any rust spots.
There are different makes of tank boots out there - I looked around for the kind that really drain out the water well and don't trap it against the tank sides and base. Plus you can always drill some extra holes if that helps.

for singles, they're nice for balancing a tank, for doubles, you can find enough stuff to rest them up against, or at least it's only able to tip front to back and not side to side. Plus, it's nice not to worry about crap growing in there.

I've been going through this debate for awhile now. I don't get on boats very often and end up shore diving most of the time. I have left the boots off of all of my AL80's. They stand up find, and the boots actually cut into the finish of the shot blasted tanks.

On my steel tanks I had removed the boots. Found a bunch of sand and mud in the boots so I decided to remove them. Since I dive my steels as single at this current moment it then became a big pain in the rump getting my BC on it on site. I would have to have someone help hold the tank, and the scuff marks on the bottom of the tanks are pretty insane after a month or two diving. So I've now gone back to boots on my steels just for the luxury that they stand up unattended now and make my gearing up process easier. I just remove the boots every month or so and clean them out and do inspections for surface rust. Once I double these steels up I will remove the boots again. Of course YMMV, but I have found boots are a big catch-22 for me. Keep the boots on and it traps sand, tanks more time to clean inspect, and could potentially rust the tanks. Leave them off and it's a PITA to kit up, and it scuffs the heck out of the bottom of the cylinders.

Matt

I always take the boots off of twin tanks (rentals, borrowed, etc.)

For the single tanks, I still leave them on.

Practically speaking, there is no need for boots on twin tanks, since you mount your backplate while the tanks are lying down anyway.

For the single tanks, it is easier to attach the tank straps/cam bands with the tank standing up, therefore the boot comes in handy then. But either way, with our without the boot on a single tank, it really is just a matter of personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom