Tank Boot Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of that worked so I used a blowtorch. It was a small one, though...

I am kidding of course. Small hammer and gentle tapping worked just fine...

Oh I understand it can definitely get quite warm---but I doubt it's exposted to temps of boiling water.

just replaced my boots.....I use a hammer. Rotate tank between hits, boot comes off pretty quickly.

I know this is an old thread but here's what just worked for me.

I grabbed a sledge hammer and a oven mitt from the kitchen. I slid the mitt over the hammer like a sock. I then lifted the tank in one hand and used my other hand to slide the sledge hammer down the side of the tank striking the boot at the end of the swing. I twisted my wrist several times to strike different sides of the tank and it came right off.

I took all my boots off my aluminium cylinders, they just encourage corrosion at the base of them.

To get them off, buy a large bottle of single malt scotch, take cylinders to dive shop and drink the scotch as they take them off. Much more fun and you cant remember how much they have charged you for it so you aren't upset with the cost.

Back
Top Bottom