Tank basics for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Walter
SMan,

What exactly is your question?

sheck33,

Your numbers are off because of an incorrect assumption. A steel 72 does not hold 72 cu ft at it's working pressure. It holds approximately 72 cu ft (mine hold 71.4) with a 10% overfill. At their working pressure, they hold approximately 64 cu ft.

Yes i am aware of those facts but for the point i am trying to make that isnt really all that important. That by the way would be another reason not to use HP tanks, the higher the pressure the less ideal the gas behaves ;-)

Are you practicing in Haigh Quarry? I am going to go for my PADI open water cert pretty soon and am already thinking where I wanna do the open water portion. My girlfriend hates cold water and wants to stay away from the lake..I don't blame her. :wink:

I haven't made it to Haigh yet. Most of my dives have been at Brandon Road Quarry. This past Saturday the temp at 20 ft was low 70's. A lot of people were not wearing hoods or 3mm caps. Deeper is still in the low 60's. I do not know if an of the quarries around here will get much warmer.

I've been seeing a lot of al80's for sale at yard sales. Any advice on how to find out if they are the "bad" alloy? Almost every one I see was manufactured before 1988. Does this make them all bad??!!??

Mark

Originally posted by SMan
But there are way to many acronyms

S

I started a thread regarding acronyms in general scuba discussions, you may find some answers there.

Back
Top Bottom