Tank Bangers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMs using them is irritating. "Look here at what I see....it's way cooler than what you're seeing". I hate bangers.

It would ruin the atmosphere of a fine dining establishment, I expect stupid cell phone people at McDonalds, but not at the 75.00 a plate steak place . . .
If a one second noise ruins the atmosphere for you... Hey, there's nothing anyone could do to please you in the first place...

Let's say a waiter drops a plate, or there is a pan dropped in the kitchen. Still ruined the atmosphere?

...quack-quack every two minutes, for the entire dive.
That WOULD be annoying. I've just never been in that situation. If that were the case, I would probably say something to them during the SI

* added to list of people I never want to dive within 2 miles of.

:lotsalove:

A Quacker is a signaling device made to use sparingly for important needs to get your buddies attention who might be in lala land enjoying the view high on narco or it may be you.
Its not for people wanting to have a conversation in morse code.the distinct noise it makes is unnatural underwater thus will get the attention a lot quicker.

and at the same time it helps keeps annoying divers at least 2 miles away.:wink::mooner:

If a one second noise ruins the atmosphere for you... Hey, there's nothing anyone could do to please you in the first place...

Let's say a waiter drops a plate, or there is a pan dropped in the kitchen. Still ruined the atmosphere?

OHH Yeah it totally ruins it . . . .

So have you guys seen that new etherfill sold by diverite . . . .

OHH Yeah it totally ruins it . . . .

That really is a shame... But, Thanks (over the top) for your service! I don't think I can over-state my appreciation for that...

That really is a shame... But, Thanks (over the top) for your service! I don't think I can over-state my appreciation for that...

I am but a small hamster in a big wheel . . . Thank you for your support!

...if you're out to a nice romantic dinner, and someone was seated at the table next to you on the cell phone with the too-loud "cell yell" voice, that would be okay?

All the best, James

No i totally agree that is the annoying way of using it, but if you are stuck on the side of a dark cold secluded road and use it to get help thats when i would rather have one than not. I'm not a two minute honker wanting to get everybodys attention. i use it sparingly when situation calls for. I have also been annoyed by DM honking every two minutes and every time they honked i would say in my head "oh shut up already":shakehead:
But i'v also realized that the distinct sound get the attention much quicker than a shaker or waving around like a drowning swimmer. Yes in the perfect world where everybody is a good diver/buddy you wouldn't need noise makers or
DAN insurance.

No i totally agree that is the annoying way of using it, but if you are stuck on the side of a dark cold secluded road and use it to get help thats when i would rather have one than not. I'm not a two minute honker wanting to get everybodys attention. i use it sparingly when situation calls for. I have also been annoyed by DM honking every two minutes and every time they honked i would say in my head "oh shut up already":shakehead:
But i'v also realized that the distinct sound get the attention much quicker than a shaker or waving around like a drowning swimmer. Yes in the perfect world where everybody is a good diver/buddy you wouldn't need noise makers or
DAN insurance.

If you're only using it for emergency attention-getting, that's fairly reasonable. That's not really what you said in your earlier post, however... nor was the attitude of "screw you, I'm communicating to my buddy" (paraphrasing) particularly appropriate.

My objection was to people who are using them *outside of emergency situations* as general attention getters for their buddy. "Pay attention to me" and "hey, look at this!" aren't generally emergencies. If they're inattentive, swim over to them... don't annoy everyone within a 1/4 mile just because your buddy isn't paying attention, unless there's a genuine emergency, of course. FAR too many people I have come across use them in this manner, which is very inconsiderate of your fellow diver. Or perhaps it's just my bad luck...

If you're only using it for emergency attention-getting, that's fairly reasonable. That's not really what you said in your earlier post, however... nor was the attitude of "screw you, I'm communicating to my buddy" (paraphrasing) particularly appropriate.

My objection was to people who are using them *outside of emergency situations* as general attention getters for their buddy. "Pay attention to me" and "hey, look at this!" aren't generally emergencies. If they're inattentive, swim over to them... don't annoy everyone within a 1/4 mile just because your buddy isn't paying attention, unless there's a genuine emergency, of course. FAR too many people I have come across use them in this manner, which is very inconsiderate of your fellow diver. Or perhaps it's just my bad luck...

Absolutely. My feelings exactly.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom