Tank Bangers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone actually use tank bangers? Are they even effective?

Yep, but not on the tank. We double wrap them around our right wrist. When we want to bang on the tank you slip the knocker up over your thumb which puts the tank knocker right in the palm of your hand. Then bang on the tank. Works better if you drill a round head screw or bolt into the knocker.

My wife uses a knocker with a thicker rubber band. I prefer a thinner band.

Does anyone actually use tank bangers? Are they even effective?

Yes they are effective, but in order to use them effectivly all parties envolved must know Morse Code......just kidding.

In reality- if a dive partner shows up with a tank banger you need to insist that they wear it on their head......not kidding.

I forgot mine on a Phi Phi dive trip... Won't be replacing it though... Think the "pointer/stick/steel rod" might be more useful.

My wife/buddy and I use them when diving together in warm water.
It solves the get-attention problem for us, simply and cheaply.
Although it actually took a little experience to have the sound translate
to something demanding your attention.

If I'm diving without her, I often don't bother with it.

Utility goes to near-zero if you're wearing a hood or beanie, though.

If you're in a pair of divers who both know and listen for the sound, perhaps it can be useful. In the general case, not much.

Diving with my usual buddy, I have no need of tank banging or the like, as we pay attention to each other. Diving with anyone else, I have little need of tank banging, as either they'll be paying attention and render it unnecessary or else they likely won't pay enough attention for it to do any good.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I'm now also the owner of a quacker. Those things annoy me to no end when you're underwater and it sounds like you're in the most concentrated duck-hunting area on the planet. On the other hand, at my LDS, the students are conditioned to respond to the quackers, as every instructor has one. When I'm assisting with classes, I pop the thing on... and then I try not to ever use it. :biggrin:

(Perhaps with a photographer, some type of audible signaling device would be reasonably appropriate, and I would not begrudge anyone of any usefulness they find in one.)

Good buddy skills are a better route than tank bangers, especially if there's more than 2 people in the water.

The last thing most people want to hear is a metallic banging sound while diving, just so one guy can signal his non-attentive buddy (but in the process, announces this to everyone in the water).

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I'm now also the owner of a quacker. Those things annoy me to no end when you're underwater and it sounds like you're in the most concentrated duck-hunting area on the planet. On the other hand, at my LDS, the students are conditioned to respond to the quackers,

Don't be ashamed you are not alone. there are others out there like you.:D
quack,quack

We use tank bangers and they are quite effective. Have to be aware of what you're listening for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom