Tank bands again, forgive my redundancy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm down to the wire on assembling my doubles from my Faber 95's. I have discovered that I don't have much space between the tanks when my manifold is installed, and it will only adjust so much.

I need to know which bands have the LEAST space between cylinders. OMS, DIVE RITE, Highland Mills, or ?

Of course, I could buy another manifold, but don't want to right now.

All things being equal, I'm getting OMS.

The Highland's have about .35" between 8" cylinders, using the highly scientific find-a-pen-that-just-fits-between-the-cylinders-and-mike-it method.

Using the bolts that come with the Highland bands, you can can clearly see light on either side of the bolt, but not much. In other words, I don't see how you can get them much closer.

BMU Highland makes bands for specific manifolds, and these are the bands for the SeaElite Manifold.

Roak

I measured and that'll work. I couldn't find a pen, so I used a pencil. It was a rustic pencil made to look like a twig, and didn't have a constant diameter, but it was fairly straight. I got about .38 " I guess I could fire a .38 caliber bullet between them and see if it cleared. I guess I'll call ee tomorrow.

It's an omen. I sold a wetsuit I no longer needed on ebay. Good deal for the guy that bought it, and good deal for me. It's a nearly brand new Henderson Gold 7 mm farmer john and shorty, and it looks like it's found a new home in New York. Selling the wetsuit gives me the money for bands.

As usual, Roak, YOUDAMAN!

Originally posted by Campana
I guess I could fire a .38 caliber bullet between them and see if it cleared.
Whoa! At 2640psi? :)

Reminds me of what I saw printed on the back of a T-shirt of one of our city's bomb tec’s once (at a IPSC match, not when he was at work):

"I am a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to keep up"

:)

Glad I could help. Given the big bucks you're paying me, you know I measured accurately!

Roak

You did not mention which manifold you are using. The OMS manifold and band/bolt system are designed so that there is not an uneven force placed on the manifold by the bands making the tanks not parallel. Hope this helps.

Robert

It's a Scubapro, should be same as Dive Rite and some others. I found out since last post that Highland Mills makes different bands for different manifolds. I should be able to get one that fits, *exactly*.

Dave

Originally posted by Campana
I found out since last post that Highland Mills makes different bands for different manifolds. I should be able to get one that fits, *exactly*.
Who are you, my wife? What did the last sentence in my first post say? :)

If you build your doubles correctly you can get zero stress on the Manifold with any set of bands. The crossover should be able to spin about 90 - 180 degrees freely before (if) you tighten the lock nuts. This only works with manifolds that have barrel O-ring setup, not facing O-rings like the OMS.

This is why you want to always assemble your doubles yourself. The fiddling it sometimes takes to put zero stress on the manifold sometimes takes more time than a shop wants to spend assembling doubles.

Of course, every time I assemble my doubles, the crossover spins freely about 45 degrees in either direction, about 180 degrees from the position it's supposed to be in. :( So then I have to decide if I want to push the valves apart or pull them together to put the isolator in the correct position. :(

Links on how to assemble doubles:

http://www.diverite.com/resource/doubles/index.htm
http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/doubles/doubles.htm

Cobb’s page, as always, excells.

Roak

I should have said: "I found out from the ever helpful Mr. R. Oakey that Highland Mills has bands for every combination" Cept I forgot where I learned it. I didn't, however, forget that you are a veritable fountain of wisdom and knowledge. See, my brain doesn't always work real good. After I got on the H.M. website and saw their nifty "compatibility chart" I felt all good inside, had some sort of cognitive lock up, and forgot that you told me already.

I owe you yet another diet coke.

Your faithful servant (not your wife)

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom