Tank Annuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedVIZ

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Haven't been on island (Oahu) for too long, but recently went to get some air fills at a LDS and was informed that they wouldn't fill them because they didn't have a Visual Plus inspection. They were current on their visuals and marked so. These are 3 year old AL80s that look like new. What's up with that? Is this a new industry standard or just a shop policy. I've been around this sport for a while now and this one threw me for a curve. Any ideas? Thanks.

Welcome to the board ScubaKimmie.

The only Visual plus requirement I know of is an old requirement by Luxfer on their tanks that are 15 years old or older.
September 22, 1999

Luxfer announces new policy concerning scuba cylinder inspection and replacement

RIVERSIDE, Calif. Luxfer Gas Cylinders, the world's leading manufacturer of aluminum scuba cylinders for underwater diving, today announced a new policy concerning the periodic inspection and replacement of its scuba cylinders.

Effective immediately, Luxfer requires that every Luxfer scuba cylinder 15 years old or older be visually inspected annually by a properly trained inspector, as well as inspected with Visual Plus or equivalent non-destructive testing equipment. If the cylinder passes the inspection, it will be certified for use by the inspector. Cylinders that are not inspected and not certified should not be used. Cylinders that fail the inspection should be removed from service.
Notice that was 1999. I don't know if that is still in effect.

Joe

Basically any AL80 made by luxfer prior to mid may 1988 or by Walter Kidde at any time (they stopped making them in 1990) will require a visual plus inpsection as they are made from 6351-T6 aluminum alloy that is prone to sustained load cracking.

Catalina never made tanks from 6351 alloy so Catalina tanks are not subject to the requirement what ever their age.

Sounds like your LDS is just gouging it's customers with an uneeded inspection. I'd talk to the owner or manager to ensure the "policy" is really policy and not just a poorly nformed shop monkey.

Ask them which Visual Plus machine they have. Visual Plus III is the only eddy current machine certified to do all Luxfer cylinders. So if your tanks are 3 years old and they use an older VP machine they may get false positives for cracks.

From the horse's mouth, if you can get the shop to budge:

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20041012.shtml

Reader's digest version says that ONLY Visual Plus 3 machines should be used on 6061 alloy cylinders. Luxfer specifically says to NOT use any other device on 6061 cylinders.

If the shop doesn't have a Visual Plus 3 device, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Roak

Dang, you guys are on top of this! (you even got the info on the alloys and eddy machines)

VIZ your best bet (unless you have a Luxfer made of 6351) is just to go to a different shop, IMHO. Most only require your standard visual.

Before the Vis+3 came out people were getting false positive reading from perfectly good 6061 tanks and were sending them back to Luxfer, just to have them sent back by Luxfer.

Many thanks to all for the wealth of information given. I appreciate it. I was a bit suspicious when informed of the policy (mrjimboalaska is a pretty good guesser too!).

It's a small island, word gets around quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom