Tampa/Clearwater Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charter is the ONLY Coast Guard Certified Dive boat in the Tampa Bay area.
Nice boat to dive off of. I have been taking my students on it for years.

Lots of room and easy ladder. Lots of dive sites from 35-60 feet

What about Narcosis in Tarpon Springs?

Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charter is the ONLY Coast Guard Certified Dive boat in the Tampa Bay area.

Just an FYI, you can't spearfish on Tanks-a-lot. The Capt works at my local shop and he said no guns allowed.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]

Capt. Ty is booked until like Sept. He is very popular lately. I might be interested in your new guy. I am looking to do a charter next month on some shallow stuff so I can take the Mrs. along. Something in the 45' range.

I would be interested too. I'm having surgery on the 11th of Sept. So I probably won't be able to dive until The end of Sep.

Did Ben sell his operation?

Last year Ben sold his business but about 2 months ago that Captain gave the boat back to Ben who has been running it since then. I think Ben started the business in 1993.

I know I have been using his boats for about 10 years to teach from.

With the Wide Beam the Island hopper has it makes the Ideal dive boat. Having a solid dive platform and a walk thru transom is really nice.

I would be interested too. I'm having surgery on the 11th of Sept. So I probably won't be able to dive until The end of Sep.

Sucks on the Surgery, HOPE you have a quick recovery.

When I had my appendix out I was released from the hospital on a Thursday with the metal staples in the skin on my stomach. That Saturday was the Southern Open Spearfishing Tournament. I checked with the surgeon if there was any way to rip open the incision on my intestines. He told me there was no way I could do it. I was not worried about tearing open the incision on my skin the staples were holding together. I carry a big bottle of Xclocain (like the idea of NO pain) surgical needles with silk and other medical stuff in my dive medical Kit. (There are no doctors way off shore where I go sometimes.)

I had my Buddy put 4 big wrap on Duct tape on me and then my wet suit and then off to 120 feet of water 42 miles off shore to shoot fish. We shot about 400 pounds of Jacks and other fish and had 21 picks from the prize table that day.

III,
That is why people from all over the country come back year after year to Dive with Tanks-A-Lot because they do NOT allow spear fishing on the boat.

Spear fishing in that enviroment is kind of like going hunting at the Petting zoo.

I was out on Bens boat a few weeks ago with students and we had two pairs of hogs there were over 3 pounds each swimming with us the whole dive. We were in only 42 feet of water and it was nice to see hogs that size in that shallow of water.

I have well over 5,000 dive in the Gulf spearfishing and I never put more then one diver on a ledge to shoot fish at a time. I would go out at least 50-60 times a year do at least 15-20 dives a day shooting fish. I did that for more then 25 years in a row. Too many divers in the water will spook the big fish. Plus with more then one person on the spot you would be lucky to shoot 2-3 little fish a dive where we can shoot 5-10 big fish a single dive by just having a single diver in the water. IF you are good.

I have a picture of me holding a stringer with about 80 pounds of hogs, grouper and snapper I shot in less then 20 minutes on a dive in 72 feet off of Tarpon Springs I will post later.

You can look at this board and other boards and see the little (under 2 pounds) hogs and other small fish that get shot on trips where people try to shoot fish with a lot of divers in the water.
YES I shot my share of little fish 30 years ago.

IF you are interested in spearfishing and you do not have your own boat then make sure you book a trip on a dive charter boat that specializes ONLY in spear fishing trips.

I know the lady who owns Narcosis in Tarpon Springs has a nice 6 pack boat and they do a lot of spearfishing. She know her stuff unlike some Captains I know. I saw a picture of a nice boat on Ocean Sports Web site also. The owner is a really nice guy and I know he likes to spear fish.

Tanks-A-Lot dive boat is the ONLY Coast Guard Certified and Documented Dive boat running in the Tampa Bay area that I know of. Because it is a Documented boat to take ANY sea life (fish, lobster, Stone crab claws) you have to have a special permit that cost close to $ 30,000.00 here on the West Coast of Florida. Much cheaper for same permit on the East coast.

That person that did work at your local dive shop is no longer the Captain.

He gave the boat back to Ben who started the business in 1993.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]

Cool. I will get with the boss lady and see when she wants to go. Then we can put something together. How much are his 2 tank trips?

IF you want to keep your wife happy here is a perfect boat going to where she will be very happy to dive.

Boat is the ONLY Coast Gaurd Certified Dive boat in the Tampa Bay area and has a 12 foot wide beam. This means it will not rock while at anchor like the other boats with 7 1/2 to 8 foot beams.

His web site is Welcome to Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Clearwater, Florida Scuba Diving Boat Charter

His email address is scuba@tanksalotdivecharter.com and his cell is 727-531-9101

He has been in business since 1993 and as a Instructor I have been using him about 10 years as a dive boat for my students.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom