Tampa Area Info Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dscheck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I maybe heading down to the Tampa area next week, the 18th through the 26th.

I would like to know if there are any places I can get in the water (from shore with rented tanks and weights) to work out my bouyancy with my new rig?

And if there is any descent charters that maybe running out into the gulf.

And any good tips on Crystal River

TIA

Hi there,

I'm a Tampa-ite in exile. There are not really any places that are 'good' to get inthe water and check out your rig- but if you are not fussy about vis and just want to check it for free, then try Sarasota beach - called sugar barge, theres a dive store nearby. At a push in Tampa you could got to fort de soto park in south st pete and do offshore there- I did it for Nitrox certs, but vis was appalling.

dunno about gulf charters- I'm sure someone else will post. Crystal river can be ggo- you can do the manatee thing which is great. I reccommend birds underwater for that.

enjoy

Treasure Island Divers is a good shop and runs good trips. Aquatic Obsessions on Central Ave in St. Pete is also good for trips.

You can try diving the Sugar Barge, or Regina as it is also known, off Bradenton Beach. On a good day you may get 8 feet of vis, on a bad day you'll bump into the wreck before you see it. There is a dive shop right across the street but I can't remember the name. I'll try and dig it up. You can call them for conditions. If the wind is out of the west forget about it.

A manatee dive in Crystal River is a must. You can rent a boat at any dive shop and they will give you a map. Snorkling is best to see them, and you can scuba the cavers after you play with the manatees. Just do an internet search.

If you go to crystal river you have to do the Rainbow river drift dive. Absolutly a blast. Close to unlimited vis. warm spring water and boiling sand. I'm trying to get my schedule together so I can do it again. One of the scuba mags rate the rainbow river as a must dive. I couldn't agree more.

Dave

CaveDiverJeff:
You can try diving the Sugar Barge, or Regina as it is also known, off Bradenton Beach. On a good day you may get 8 feet of vis, on a bad day you'll bump into the wreck before you see it. There is a dive shop right across the street but I can't remember the name. I'll try and dig it up. You can call them for conditions. If the wind is out of the west forget about it.

I think they are seatrek divers- 941 779 1506, seatrekdivers.com

And the vis as mentioned is an issue- I didn't even find the wreck the first time!!!!

Thanks for all the replies,

I am definately heading down to Largo on the 18th and staying until the 26th. I will keep all the info you have given in a notebook, anyone know of some good shops in the area?

dscheck,

I'd recommend Gulf diving for the best diving in the area... but the weather for the first part of this week will not allow offsore diving. You can check the two links on my website for the offshore buoy reports and forecasts. www.mobilescuba.com

Forget the beach dive, with the cold front it will be soup.

For other than manatees, which is best done without tanks, Crystal River will not be as good as Blue Grotto. There you would be wind sheltered, have a drive up location and have 100+ feet of visibility with shallow platforms for your gear check. An easy beautiful dive to 45 feet, with optional cavern to 100 feet. I take some of my students there when it's too windy to go out in the Gulf. Devils Den is close by too.
www.divebluegrotto.com
http://www.floridacaves.com/bgrotto.htm
This site lists most fresh water dives in Florida http://www.floridacaves.com/

A few boats may run charters this time of year if they can get enough divers together on the weekends. Probably nothing available during the week.

If you have interest in any specialty courses, I'm a private instructor with a 36 foot custom dive boat.

Good Diving!

Capt. Chad Carney
www.mobilescuba.com
cubera@ij.net
727-423-7775

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom