talk me out of a Mares Abyss 22 :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 5 Abyss regs, so my opinion might be biased, but it's hard to go wrong with them. They breathe easily, have a simple design, and usually cost less than comparable regs. I'm not a big fan of adjustable regs or detuning the reg to prevent free flows, so for me, the Abyss hits all the right points.

I have used the Mares Abyss for about four years and am very happy with it. It feels bulletproof and breathes very well. I had no trouble servicing it in New York City.

My sole complaint used to be that it would pull slightly to the right because of the stiffness of the hose, but this was rectified by adding a SeaCure mouthpiece that you mold to your teeth and gives a much better and more relaxed grip than a standard manufacturer-supplied mouthpiece.

You won't go wrong with an Abyss so long as you have someone to service it nearby and you get a good price. You should ideally try a bunch of regulators before deciding but this is seldom a realistic option unless you spend a lot of time underwater with other people. It's also a good regulator if you want to try cold water diving sometime.

The MARES Abyss MR-22 is IMHO one of the best regulators ever made. My son uses an MR-22 Abyss Ruby and, while much of the time I use an OCEANIC OMEGA II, there’s a Abyss in my bag as a backup.

DSCN0920.JPG

Used to have a couple of Mares Abyss and Ruby's, both nice Regs but now diving Zeagle and would never go back to Mares.

Cheers
Chris

I have been servicing and using Mares regs for a long time. The Abyss is a very durable design, and one that has stood the test of time. The new tri-material HP valve assembly should cure the problems of high pressure tanks causing intermediate pressure creep.

Greg Barlow

Why talk you out of a good product??

Service is the only "issue" anybody has with Mares. We live in the Florida Keys and service is a bit of a problem. Then again we have Apeks , same problem. Doesn't make them bad. Only inconvenient.

As previously said you may hear the complaint of Abyss being "heavy". Not a problem underwater. Regardless of what regulator you choose the mouthpiece may be an issue due to shape, size, hose routing. The Seacure mouthpiece cures that immediately.

Ever since Mares got the design from Voit there have been service and parts issues. Essentially getting parts for any Mares regulator is diffucult. My last Mares MR12 which is only a few years old sat in a dive shop for months waiting on parts. I then sent it to another where it continued to sit and it now sits in the bottom of my dive locker. It has been a long time problem with regulators from Mares. Most people know this including the OP because he mentioned it.

The Abyss regulator is an OK unit but for parts and serviceability down the road get something like an Aqua Lung or Apecks etc. When and if Mares actually decides to support their products I might change my mind. Remember a few months back when the Mares CEO came on scubaboard claiming they were introducing new products that would revolutionize diving?, I do and I told him he was full of something. Neither the HUB nor the higher priced Linited Edition products have revolutionized anything.

OK, let me put it this way, their product support in North Americas plainly @****@s.

N

Want to be talked out of it? Well then chew on this...

Get a Scubapro or Aqualung and you can get it serviced almost anywhere in the world.

..er...I want to get a Abyss MR22...

J:

JKSteger:
Want to be talked out of it? Well then chew on this...

Get a Scubapro or Aqualung and you can get it serviced almost anywhere in the world.

..er...I want to get a Abyss MR22...

J:

You would really think this is true, and was one of the reasons I bought a SP reg, and I have no regrets. But, in two very popular Caribbean dive destinations, Cozumel and Roatan, guess what the easiest reg to get serviced is? Yep, Mares. On Roatan there's a full Mares distributor and a DM in Coz told me that Mares regs are the most popular and easiest to find parts for. Go figure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom