Tales of the Brass Bottle Opener

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we go with the beer again. FYI, Egyptian Stella has nothing whatsoever to do with real Stella. Belgian Stella that is.

Great story, BTW.

Is this board turning into a beer forum, I wonder...

FatCat:
As beer is one of the essential food groups, it is appropriate that we discuss it from time to time... like grits.
Rick :)

FatCat:
Here we go with the beer again. FYI, Egyptian Stella has nothing whatsoever to do with real Stella. Belgian Stella that is.
FatCat:
Great story, BTW.

Thanks for the reply - as I said in my profile I am also a history buff and one who likes beer. I find it fun and interesting to try brands from all the places I travel to. I have my favorites, Tusker in Kenya, Stella in Egypt, San Miguel in the Philippines, Singha in Thailand, Tiger in Singapore, Piton in St Lucia, Amstel Bright in Bonaire. I guess if you come to think of it all of them are good. Except maybe Duval from Belgium - Yuk!

I didn't realize that beer on the forum was an issue and I apologize if it offended you.
smile_2.gif

As for the comparison

Actually the first producers of Egyptian Blonde Stella were incorporated in Belgium, which is home to Stella Artois. They opened shop in the spring of 1898 in Cairo and called themselves the Crown Brewing Company of Cairo. There was an older company in Alexandria by the same name so they changed the brewing company to Pyramids Brewery. The factory is located in Giza and along with the Great Sphinx and the Pyramids of Giza it is one of their most famous landmarks. Stella Beer is the national beer of Egypt

Stella Artois, on the other hand is brewed in Leuven Belgium. The brewery was originally known as Den Horen and was formed around 1366. The master brewer was Sebastian Artois and in 1708 he purchased the business and renamed it Artois Brewery in 1717. We last tasted Stella Artois at Mr. Manatees Restaurant in Pensacola. Unfortunately I fear that Ivan took care of that.

To compare Egyptian Stella with Stella Artois is like comparing Budweiser from Czechoslovakia with Budweiser from St Louis. They just ain’t the same set of dogs no matter how you look at it.

SeanQ:
Wonderful story! You're a natural story teller. What did the people on the boat say when you turned up?

What they said was not appropriate for repeating in public.
icon_redface.gif

Super story Tom, thanks a million, really ejoyable.
I too eagerly await the second part :wink:

SF

Enjoyed the tale. A while back I was searching the archives in the scuba humor threads by hitting the "last" button and found some good stories there like this one.
http://scubaboard.com/t872-.html

Tom Smedley:
Thanks for the reply - as I said in my profile I am also a history buff and one who likes beer. I find it fun and interesting to try brands from all the places I travel to. I have my favorites, Tusker in Kenya, Stella in Egypt, San Miguel in the Philippines, Singha in Thailand, Tiger in Singapore, Piton in St Lucia, Amstel Bright in Bonaire. I guess if you come to think of it all of them are good. Except maybe Duval from Belgium - Yuk![/size][/font]

didn't realize that beer on the forum was an issue and I apologize if it offended you.
smile_2.gif

As for the comparison

Actually the first producers of Egyptian Blonde Stella were incorporated in Belgium, which is home to Stella Artois. They opened shop in the spring of 1898 in Cairo and called themselves the Crown Brewing Company of Cairo. There was an older company in Alexandria by the same name so they changed the brewing company to Pyramids Brewery. The factory is located in Giza and along with the Great Sphinx and the Pyramids of Giza it is one of their most famous landmarks. Stella Beer is the national beer of Egypt

Stella Artois, on the other hand is brewed in Leuven Belgium. The brewery was originally known as Den Horen and was formed around 1366. The master brewer was Sebastian Artois and in 1708 he purchased the business and renamed it Artois Brewery in 1717. We last tasted Stella Artois at Mr. Manatees Restaurant in Pensacola. Unfortunately I fear that Ivan took care of that.

To compare Egyptian Stella with Stella Artois is like comparing Budweiser from Czechoslovakia with Budweiser from St Louis. They just ain’t the same set of dogs no matter how you look at it.

My, I am impressed. Here's a man who knows his beers. :cheers:

Thanks for sharing - makes me even sadder that I have not gotten to Egypt yet (still hoping). Agree about the hotels and resturants dress code ??? - now a days they are not for true divers.

Anxiously waiting for more editions.

Becky

FatCat:
My, I am impressed. Here's a man who knows his beers. :cheers:
Tommy may know a little about beer, but his disdain for Duvel, one of the world's premiere "warm & fuzzy" ('cause just one leaves you that way; 9%) tasty brews, belies this claim and hints at his underlying prejudice for the lightweight styles. He probably doesn't care for Mort Subite either!
I'm tryin' to train the old codger, but 'tis tedious work.
Love,
Uncle Ricky :)

Back
Top Bottom