Taking the Plunge (SCUBA gear setup questions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On land it could be in all honesty if you have it too tight. In the water no. Not at all. I dive mine with just a rashguard or t shirt. You should always have some type of exposure protection when diving anyway. That's just common.sense when there may things that can sting, scrape, or irritate in the water.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You've asked a number of reasonable questions, to which the answers are mostly a matter of personal preference. So, that is what I can offer as well.
The following gear will be used for spearfishing in Louisiana and Florida. . . .

1. Zeagle Stiletto BCD $522 . . . Zeagle Scout ($369) Either unit would be fine. Since you have looked at two Zeagle BCDs, any reason you didn't also look at the Express Tech, which might be a little less expensive than the Stiletto, similar to the Scout in terms of lift, and may offer a little more flexibility? Personally, I use a stainless steel backplate for all singles diving, including warm water diving in a 1 mm, and I really the like the fact that it takes 6 lbs off my waist. For your intended use and weight requirements (up to 12 lbs), the Scout can accommodate the weight you might need (you can put up to 20 lbs in the pockets), and the lift of the Scout (24 lbs) is adequate.

2. Octo-Z Alternate Air Source $230 Sold on the idea of not having an extra hose. Any reason I shouldn't? This is definitely an issue of personal preference, and perception. I am one of the non-users. Since you are 'sold' on the idea of one less hose, go for it. I would not, I prefer a real octo (identical to my primary), and I find it is simply not possible to document any objective difference in 'streamlining' associated with one less hose. The parts of combo units (including the inflator hose) are often unit-specific, so service is a bit more expensive, IF you need to have it serviced. For me, a combo is simply more trouble than it is worth. But, as I said, this is really all about personal preference and perception.

3. 45 Inch Dive Signal Tube (orange safety sausage) and whistle If you are going to get a safety sausage, get a real one - 6 ft - that might actually be seen in the ocean if there is a little chop..

4. Dive-Rite 1' (2.5 cm) Crotch Strap with Circular Ring I use 2" and 1" crotch straps. For singles diving, wetsuit, no scooter, 1" is great.

5. Genesis CG5336 200ft. In-Line Console $145 Do you REALLY want a console? The back-up you need is the SPG. Get your depth from your computer. Add a wrist compass if you really need a compass

6. Computer and Transmitter - Needs alarm, backlight, usb/PC availability, and needs to be showing the following during the dive without requiring any button pushing (PSI, Dive Time, Feet/Depth, and No Deco time) Lots of computers will fit this list, hard to say one is better than another. I have always used Suuntos (Vytec, then HeLO2) for air-integration and never been disappointed.

7. Lastly, the regulator. Never had a preference when renting or could honestly tell that much of a difference. Based on reviews the following are on my radar: Sherwood SR1 Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 Genesis GS2000 Zeagle ZX Flathead 7.

For most recreational diving, you will be hard pressed to discern a real difference in performance (as you have already observed). You seem to be looking at a rather broad selection, in terms of quality and price (e.g. Genesis vs Zeagle Flathead 7). I have quite a few Zeagle regs, service them myself, and like the ease of doing so, and I find the quality and performance of Zeagle regs to be superb. If I was given a Genesis reg new as a gift, I would sell it on eBay and buy something decent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom