Taking selfies while diving - what's your method?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and have a question for all you divers out there. Do any of you take selfies while diving? If so, I'd love to hear about the equipment or techniques you use to capture those moments. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

I take a selfie at the beginning of each dive, once in the water. I use it later to tell which group of pictures in the grid display of Lightroom is from a particular dive. I just point the camera at myself and press the button. But I do not think this is what you mean...
P8120062-2.jpg

I take a selfie at the beginning of each dive, once in the water. I use it later to tell which group of pictures in the grid display of Lightroom is from a particular dive. I just point the camera at myself and press the button. But I do not think this is what you mean...
View attachment 781075
ah the classic "are these strobes firing?" selfie

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and have a question for all you divers out there. Do any of you take selfies while diving? If so, I'd love to hear about the equipment or techniques you use to capture those moments. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
Just say no

I'm not necessarily one to make moral judgements, but if you're taking lots of selfies underwater, you may be doing it wrong.

If you need to record yourself, such as checking skills, you could always use a small tripod but the best thing to do is have a friend record you.

I’ve done selfies underwater, I find pointing the camera at yourself to be the preferred method,
DSCI1290.jpeg

im usually just making sure my hoses didn’t get crossed up or sometimes looking for a leak.

Thank you all for your responses! It seems like most of you either point the camera at yourself or have a diving buddy take the photo. I've seen people using selfie sticks, but I'm a bit nervous about carrying one while diving. I'm looking for a way to capture myself and the surrounding scenery in the shot, without using a selfie stick. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for your responses! It seems like most of you either point the camera at yourself or have a diving buddy take the photo. I've seen people using selfie sticks, but I'm a bit nervous about carrying one while diving. I'm looking for a way to capture myself and the surrounding scenery in the shot, without using a selfie stick. Any suggestions?
I think a number of responses have already suggested using a dive buddy. If this suggestion is not acceptable, you can hire a personal videographer to follow you around.

There's nothing wrong with asking, but I suspect you'll find better answers to this particular question elsewhere. Most of the divers here are the old skool type that aren't particularly interested in showing themselves off on social media.

Back
Top Bottom