Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My rescue instructor was an ass. I won the training for free at an event, but even so I wouldn't do it again with this guy. I was told that my longhose would choke me and that if I wanted to wear my BP&W they'd have to cut it off me. For the record, I have no trouble getting out of it when I'm conscious, and in a real rescue situation I wouldn't object to someone cutting my webbing if they thought that was their best choice.

I offered to let him demonstrate how it would choke me, but he didn't want to take the time. Hmff. I did the training in a stab jacket and conventional rec hose configuration.

Please excuse this brief rant / tangent...

He also yelled at me for MOF, even though it was on backwards and I was standing in the shallow end of a pool at the time and in no danger of losing it. Nobody in their right mind would think I was in distress. He said not to do that and that "tech divers wear it that way". He made it clear that he HATED tech divers, and by extension me, even though I'm not a tech diver. I did too many things *like* tech divers. Sigh.

A student got yelled at for the time it was taking her to add weight to her belt. She had never used a 7mm wetsuit before. She was shaking. I tried to help her and she said "I feel so humiliated right now".

I tried to buy him lunch after training to share my concerns with him directly, but he declined. I complained to the shop about his behaviour but haven't heard back. I think he's retired now. I hope so!

..end of rant / tangent.

My rescue instructor and I both had BPW.

At his suggestion, before we started, it was very easy to remove BPW by raising the victims arm above his head and removing the arm strap on that side first.

I did mine in my bpw as well no issues at all. I just told my buddy before how to get me out of there, which is actually more simple than 10000 clips on a stab jackets

If you are lucky/unfortunate enough to have to deal with a real-world rescue, you have to deal with whatever equipment the person is going to be wearing. You don't know what that is so you have to learn to deal with what is presented to you. The fact that the instructor is pressuring you to change just for convenience of the course is bullsh!

@tbone1004 beat me to it. This is essentially what I was going to reply. When we work with and certify prospective rescue divers, we intentionally put instructors and DM's in different gear configurations in order to simulate all of the variables that one could encounter in a real world situation. It also makes the training much more valuable by adding some additional task loading + reinforces problem solving and the need to stop, think and act.

I wear Bp/w. During my pre-dive discussion with new or insta-buddies I make it clear that if there is an emergency then pull out one of my knives and cut me out. In training, obviously, I would not want to cut it. So, some accommodation for this fact could be included in the training scenario - e.g., have the rescuer say 'cut cut cut' then have the pretend victim assist with the remove.

Also, during my rescue course, the fact that others may not have the same or most common equipment was one of the things covered in the class; hence to avoid this fact by standardizing equipment would be inferior training

Ask yourself why you are taking this course. Do you want to learn how to deal with an emergency with the person you dive with the most in the equipment you normally wear or are you just trying to complete the training to check a block?
If this is a block check and you just want the easy way out go ahead and change the equipment. If you want real value out of the course you need to figure out how to deal with the equipment you have. This may be a learning experience for both you and your instructor.
If your instructor is not willing to work with you in your own equipment you may have found the wrong instructor.

By the way, chicken wing an arm.
If you end up cutting a strap, cut it low (about where a quick release would be or just a bit lower). You can fit a weight belt buckle on it and have a future quick release as long as you have an inch or 2 to back out of the waist.

Webbing is cheap. As an instructor, I try to expose my students to different configurations that are common, not necessarily in the Puget Sound: bp/w with doubles (me in a sacrificial harness), sidemount, Aqualung i3, and of course jacket style BCDs. I stress evaluation and then acting. Fortunately I have an i3 for the pool, a DM who dives sidemount, and then my twinset. Jacket style BCDs are obviously the most common.

Ok. I think I've got some really good pointers from @tbone1004. Thank you! We'll hit the pool again this weekend and try this out!

I’m doing my rescue in a few months with my bpw. I haven’t asked if this is an issue. Great input on removing the gear. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom