Taking Rescue Course and I don't think the conditions are good to dive in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t do it! This is why I got my booster shot today! No diving in this stuff
097925DC-F864-4E74-A76E-6FFB75CB4737.jpg

I wouldn't dive in 4-6 foot waves. I've done it in NJ. No need to do it in those conditions. I wouldn't be diving in those conditions (I know conditions can change during a dive), so I wouldn't be rescuing anyone in those conditions.
Can't base the "extra challenge" on the miniscual chances of weather changing to 4-6' waves during a dive and you having to recsue someone.
sounds like la jolla shores. cdip forecast for tomorrow morning is not as bad for near shore.

Wind W 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 3 to 4 ft at 15 seconds.

would be considered diveable conditions for norcal. but if you don't feel comfortable, then go ahead and reschedule.
this was the report my instructor was referencing on magic seaweed.com
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 3.30.30 PM.jpg

looks about right, 3 to 5 ft combined wind/swell.

@lexvil OP is talking about san diego, not as bad down south

looks about right, 3 to 5 ft combined wind/swell.

@lexvil OP is talking about san diego, not as bad down south
Yea, if it looked half as good here I would be diving. The long shallow swim out at the shores can make thing look worse than they really are down south.

On a different note, I think you should consider postponing until you get more experience. Rescue is about expanding awareness outside of yourself, and most divers I know with 20 dives haven't developed the ability to take care of themselves on autopilot. I don't know you, of course, so just food for thought.

While there is something to be said for training in less than ideal conditions, I think this dive might put you in over your head. In your limited experience you probably have not experienced these conditions. Trying to train in these conditions while experiencing them for the first time might not be in your best intrest. You wont be able to focus on learning the conditions or the training and you'll be task overloaded. That can be a dangerous situation.

Do people dive in those conditions? Yes, some do.

Have I made dives in those conditions? Yes. Not any more though.

I forget how many tons of water are in even a 2 foot wave but it's more than enough to knock the sh!t out of you if you're not ready for it. You're clearly uncomfortable with this so don't be afraid to call it when you get there. Remember forecasts can be wrong and it could turn out to be the perfect day but...the forecast is likely to be right too. Don't let anyone push you into the dive just because you already made the trip. It's not worth it. Besides, remember, you're doing this for fun.

Good luck. Safe Diving.

Forecasts and swell reports are a great tool but you have to take that information and apply it to the site you will be diving and that comes with experience. Example here in NorCal if we have a direct west swell of any size all the sites that are exposed directly to the Pacific will be blown out so don't bother but in the bay with a south facing beach it could be a great dive. I would look at the reports and go to the site your class plans on doing the training and evaluate the conditions. If you are not comfortable then cancel but at least now you have learned how that report affects that dive site bank that and it's knowledge for the future diving.

A 6 foot swell will affect 12 feet of water and will break in a depth of about 6 feet depending on the bottom, if you and your buddy can get out into 4 feet supporting each other get your fins on and timing the swells swim out under the breakers and surface outside, if that’s not possible cancel as you can’t swim through a 6 foot surf as it will roll you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom