Taking Open Water course for the 2nd time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[...]
view
Here it is :)

9a4e672d-7f02-4be3-b143-330389a44d9b.jpg

I had a setback when doing my course years back and it was due to over pressurizing my ears when clearing them. Do it gently to avoid injury.

It has changed over the years. For the 4 checkout dives now, the book now lists the specific skills that are done on each dive, and the student is supposed to check off and sign that they were done. The dive flexible skills are noted a ss well. For the confined water dives, the watermanship skills and the dive flexible skills are noted and must be initialed by the instructor showing when they were done. This is in the logbook, too.

Back when I did it, the skills for each of the DW dives were listed, and the instructor initialed when they were done. This is in the logbook, but I, as a new diver, paid no attention to it.
If you still have contacts at PADI you should ask them to consider publishing the standards conspicuously online. I spent a few minutes searching google and came up with nothing.

Not every diveshool gives you the same logbook. Some PADI schools give you the PADI logbook, some don't. They are quite expensive, so i get why diving schools would use another logbook.

In the training standards it is not specified that you have to sign of all the skills, just that you have to log the dive.
Ah, that's what I suspected. They gave us their own log book (the one with the light green pages). Also, I did find the paperback red one-- the PADI one. But this one was just a regular log book. No place to list or check off skills.

Hard to read the words-- does this one have a place to check off/initial skills? As I mentioned, the PADI log book we were also given did not? Not important stuff, just interesting.

Hard to read the words-- does this one have a place to check off/initial skills? As I mentioned, the PADI log book we were also given did not? Not important stuff, just interesting.

Sorry about the blurry picture. The top blue box (middle of the page) has the required skills, but they come already checked off. The bottom blue box has "flexible skills".

There are also pages earlier in the book that list the possible "Adventure Dives" and the skills to be completed in them. That pertains to the AOW course. It's just a list though...not a place to check them off or initial and sign. Some of the skills in the Adventure Dives are reviews of the OW material, such as doing a safety stop, buddy check, suiting up.

The log book does give good information. It would have been better, IMO, to have that list prior to meeting with the instructor (who gave us the log books and other PADI materials right before we did the pool work). PADI recently updated their site, so perhaps those lists are there now.

Sorry about the blurry picture. The top blue box (middle of the page) has the required skills, but they come already checked off. The bottom blue box has "flexible skills".

There are also pages earlier in the book that list the possible "Adventure Dives" and the skills to be completed in them. That pertains to the AOW course. It's just a list though...not a place to check them off or initial and sign. Some of the skills in the Adventure Dives are reviews of the OW material, such as doing a safety stop, buddy check, suiting up.

The log book does give good information. It would have been better, IMO, to have that list prior to meeting with the instructor (who gave us the log books and other PADI materials right before we did the pool work). PADI recently updated their site, so perhaps those lists are there now.
Thanks. I did get a slate for AOW that I think had some skils/objectives listed on it.

If you still have contacts at PADI you should ask them to consider publishing the standards conspicuously online. I spent a few minutes searching google and came up with nothing.
A 2014 version of the PADI Instructor Manual is available on-line at https://www.thomas-n-ruth.com/file-manager/download.php?id=119. It has the teaching standards in it, for all the certification levels (no specialties), as of 2014. So you can get a good idea of of what the game is, even though a few of the rules have changed.

I am starting my orientation today. I bought the IST ProEar as a last ditch effort. I am happy to report that it works great! I had not problem equalizing although my mask did get a little fogged up from equalizing with my nose. I just hope the instructors will let me use it, I dont know how I will take it off with a hood and put it back on. I am excited I can actually scuba now. It seems when water hits my ears I can only stand having it happen for about 30 mins before they start hurting. Dont know if I should tell the dive instructor that.
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 8.27.47 AM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom