Taking Open Water course for the 2nd time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recall anything done with my log book in OW course except logging the 4 checkout dives and the instructor signing each one (he forgot to, I had to go back to the shop weeks later...).

Where are you talking about when you mention you actually had to sign each page agreeing that you had done the skills described there? I don't recall anything like that. Is this "each page" something in your log book? Different type of log book? Maybe I just forgot and lost this somewhere, it's been 16 years.
It has changed over the years. For the 4 checkout dives now, the book now lists the specific skills that are done on each dive, and the student is supposed to check off and sign that they were done. The dive flexible skills are noted a ss well. For the confined water dives, the watermanship skills and the dive flexible skills are noted and must be initialed by the instructor showing when they were done. This is in the logbook, too.

Back when I did it, the skills for each of the DW dives were listed, and the instructor initialed when they were done. This is in the logbook, but I, as a new diver, paid no attention to it.

Assuming your class followed standards, you actually had to sign each page agreeing that you had done the skills described there.
?? I see no place on the PADI Diver's Log and Training Record for the diver's signature, only the instructor's signature. There is a place for the diver to check which dive-flexible skills were done on each of the four OW dives, but not for the regular skills nor a place for a signature. I looked at a 2005 and a 2016 version of the Log.

?? I see no place on the PADI Diver's Log and Training Record for the diver's signature, only the instructor's signature. There is a place for the diver to check which dive-flexible skills were done on each of the four OW dives, but not for the regular skills nor a place for a signature. I looked at a 2005 and a 2016 version of the Log.
Right--I misstated. But the student is supposed to log the dive, which includes all of that, and then the instructor signs it.

Assuming your class followed standards, you actually had to sign each page agreeing that you had done the skills described there.

I'm not blaming you--it really is overwhelming.

I'm packing for a dive trip anyway, so I pulled out my logs. IDK about the old log books, but in the books we were given in 2019 there were no pages for the student to sign or initial that we'd done the tasks. The tasks are listed on each checkout dive page for the specific dives, but even there it's the instructor filling it out. There is a single page called "The PADI Scuba Diver Statement", but even on that page there are only lines for the instructor to sign and date and put their PADI number. That's a bit odd since the statement is supposed to be the student/new diver agreeing that they understand the 12 statements on that page.

@TMHeimer

ETA: I missed your reply as I was typing. We did fill out our logs and the instructor signed them.

It has changed over the years. For the 4 checkout dives now, the book now lists the specific skills that are done on each dive, and the student is supposed to check off and sign that they were done. The dive flexible skills are noted a ss well. For the confined water dives, the watermanship skills and the dive flexible skills are noted and must be initialed by the instructor showing when they were done. This is in the logbook, too.

Back when I did it, the skills for each of the DW dives were listed, and the instructor initialed when they were done. This is in the logbook, but I, as a new diver, paid no attention to it.

There is no place in the current log book (assuming it is the same as it was 2 years ago) for the student diver to sign on those pages.

ETA: Not that it matters that much. I'm sure most people would just sign or initial anyway. As long as the skills are listed and the diver has completed them, then that's more important than a signature.

Right--I misstated. But the student is supposed to log the dive, which includes all of that, and then the instructor signs it.
Yes! That's how it is in my log...not that anyone could even read what I wrote down. This is why I keep my log digitally...I can't even read my own writing.

I must be missing something. The only thing in my log book is regular dive pages. No listing of any skills for any checkout dives. My dives 1-4, the checkout ones, were filled in by me and signed by the instructor-- just like you'd fill out any page and have a buddy sign it. Is this skill list a separate sheet of paper -- like something I filed away and forgot about?
I do recall in my last year of assisting (2015), there was some sort of slate listing the skills. I THINK the students had to initial it as well as the instructor. I don't recall this list being part of the students' log books. I know we had nothing like that in the course I took in 2005. We did the skills and that was that.

No idea where my original logbook went, so I can’t check that one. I did, check the logbooks for my daughters. Oldest certified in 2015 has a page that has a checklist of all the skills. Youngest certified in 2018 doesn’t have that page, but the instructor did add some notes on the skills that were done. Instructors checklist had the full breakdown, IIRC.

The logbook from my 1996 course was just a generic logbook, so no skills section.

I must be missing something. The only thing in my log book is regular dive pages. No listing of any skills for any checkout dives. My dives 1-4, the checkout ones, were filled in by me and signed by the instructor-- just like you'd fill out any page and have a buddy sign it. Is this skill list a separate sheet of paper -- like something I filed away and forgot about?
I do recall in my last year of assisting (2015), there was some sort of slate listing the skills. I THINK the students had to initial it as well as the instructor. I don't recall this list being part of the students' log books. I know we had nothing like that in the course I took in 2005. We did the skills and that was that.
Not every diveshool gives you the same logbook. Some PADI schools give you the PADI logbook, some don't. They are quite expensive, so i get why diving schools would use another logbook.

In the training standards it is not specified that you have to sign of all the skills, just that you have to log the dive.

In my logbook, the list of skills in in the middle of the pages for the checkout dives. Now that I look at it really closely, for the OW pages there are 2 sections. One is called "skills completed" and all of those are already checked off (book printed that way). The other section is called "Dive Flexible Skills" and each item has an area to check off next to it. The instructor checked those off for us.

For the AOW pages (listed as 'Adventure' dives) those only have the "Skills Completed" section, but ONLY on the pages that reference the dives that are specifically required by PADI: navigation & deep.

Well...looks like my picture won't insert. I don't see an option to upload from my desktop.

ETA: If you right click the img icon, that should open the file. I will make sure it's a shared file. That's the PADI logbook.
view

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom