Taking my reg/computer setup on cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might also be a good idea to get in a refresher prior to going, especially since you have been off for two years. That will save you from wasting the first couple of dives just getting comfortable.
Yeah, that is why we got one in last week and are having our tanks hydroed so we can do 2 more this weekend

Moostang, I just got back from two trips last month.....the Aqua Cat live aboard in the Bahamas, and Bonaire. I packed ALL my gear in one bag, except for my reg and computer, which I brought as a carryon. I put all my clothes into my carry on baggage as well, since if you're going to be diving a lot, you don't need many clothes. At the end of both trips, I still had brought more clothes than I needed. Your gear is the most important part of luggage you can bring with you, in my humble opinion.

Well, I think the only other thing besides mask/fins/snorkel/computer/reg we could use would probably be the BC, our suits are 7/5 since we dive in cold lake water, probably to uncomfortable for out there, wont be bringing weights/tanks of course, so I guess I minds as well pack them if we have room. Of course being Caribbean I am planning to wear shorts and t-shirts most of the time which is easy to pack light for that.

Bringing your BC is probably the best option, but you can also get an adapter the converts your oversize Air2 fitting to a regular sized one, it just clicks into the quick coupling ... that's what I have in my save-a-dive box .. it might be worth getting one so if you ever have an issue with your BC, you can just hook your regs to a regular rental BC

The other problem you might face is that since you use an Air2 - you probably don't have a regular octo on your reg. Most operators will not let you dive without an octo. So if you just take your regs, you will need a standard lp inflator hose and an octo.

Best idea - take your BC.

Moostang. I was on a cruise in October 07, and am going on one in November 08. I have a regulator assembly with the Air2 inflator from Scubapro. I think the inflator quick disconnect is larger than some other manufacturers. In any case while it might be inconvienent, I always bring my own gear. For warm water dives, I carry everything on the plane including my small pony w/reg. For cold water dives, I pack some gear in my checked bag. I am from New England so no need for the heavy suits. I own it, I like it, I know what to expect from it. That's it in a nutshell, I am on vacation and out of my normal dive element, I trust my stuff. Hope this helps.

Please bare with me, I may have been certified for a few years now but I am still pretty much a green bean in scuba (especially after almost 2 years off) so please excuse me if I don't use right terms or make sense. :blinking:

My hubby and I are heading out on a cruise soon, we have decided we wanted to do some diving since it would be Caribbean (assuming our practice dives this weekend go as good as last weekend). In an effort to pack less we were thinking of only taking our regulator setups which have the computers and a quick connect for our inflator/air2 combo and of course will be taking mask/fins/snorkel. We were wondering if the connections are pretty much standard and should we be good to go with most rental setups? As part of the package we would get all of this is included, but the thought of putting a dingy old regulator that has been used 100's of times in my mouth just gives me the willies! We are thinking of doing the dive in St Thomas if that makes a difference as far as location.

Thanks

If you are booking the dives through the cruise line here are three options:

1) Email the cruise line. Give them the information on your regulator and ask if it will work with the EACH dive operators BCDs. The cruise line will forward the information to each dive operator and you MIGHT get answer back.

2) If #1 does not work, if you book through the cruise line, you only have two options. With gear or without gear. So if you are asking for a BCD, they will include a reg as well. You can bring your reg. If it fits, use it. If not, they'll have a reg for you.

3) If you are like me and just want your regs, PERIOD. Bring your BCD as well. I just bring everything but tanks and weights (I'll even bring my own weight belt).

MoostangGT..I think you made the wise decision. Like I said, I always bring my own equipment. With all the changing baggage restrictions, I am thinking of wearing my BCD on the plane. How funny will that be! Have a great trip.

Moostang, I just got back from two trips last month.....the Aqua Cat live aboard in the Bahamas, and Bonaire. I packed ALL my gear in one bag, except for my reg and computer, which I brought as a carryon. I put all my clothes into my carry on baggage as well, since if you're going to be diving a lot, you don't need many clothes. At the end of both trips, I still had brought more clothes than I needed. Your gear is the most important part of luggage you can bring with you, in my humble opinion.

Exactly!! I do the same thing. The only thing I use from the dive-op is lead and air, (and the boat!!!!)

A blown inflator hose on a rental rig, just prior to descending on a second dive, convinced me of that.

Last edited:
Sabrina,

If you are pushing weight limits by bringing the BCs, leave your fins home. Rental fins work just fine!

FWIW, when I dive from a cruise ship I bring everything but my BC and fins. (I can pack both sets of gear (me and my daughter) in one bag within weight limits (50 lbs) without the fins and BCs.) I don't have integrated inflator/octos, though...

Have a good time. I've dived a lot on Saint Thomas and it is good diving and nice people.

Best,
TED

As I mentioned, I bring all my own gear with me. Sometimes I put my fins and wetsuit in my check back and carry the rest on in a rolling backpack stype bag. I have Scubapro gear and the inflator is not standard, you will need a converter piece. Additionall many vacation rentals do not have BCD's with power inflators so you would need to add a regulator to your first stage. I am more comfortable with my own gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom