Taking My Boat to San Carlos Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone!

Currently, as my screen name suggests, I own a 22' Chaparral Bowrider. I purchased this boat for the express purpose of diving our local lakes here in Arizona along with other water sports. Lately, I have had a hankering to take it down to San Carlos for some good diving, but I am leary on taking a $50k sport boat down to a foreign country. I really believe that diving off of my own boat would be much more rewarding than chartering a dive boat in Mexico. Has anyone here done this? Are there any concerns for taking my boat to Mexico? I have read the online documents outlining the procedures for bringing a boat and trailer into Mexico, but is it safe??? I really don't want to come home without my boat.

Thanks, Clay

Sleep in it with an M-16 at your side.

I have done that, we used to live in Phoenix. We would caravan with a group, sometimes strangers, one for all, all for one, nobody gets left behind---PERIOD. One stops for a flat, all stop etc.

Frankly, at the current state of lawlessness and non-government and the apathy and incompetence of the Mexican government and their total corruption I would not do it with my also expensive boat. Mexico has become a shell of a country, borders without control internally and no will to do anything but blame the US and export their problems to the US. It is a shame that such a beautiful country with so many equally beautiful and talented people with a rich culture and so many resources has allowed itself to become a garbage heap of a nation.

If you don't ever clean your house, do you expect your neighbor to let you sleep in their spare bedroom, eat their food? Do you expect your neighbor to mow your lawn and clean your house, well, Mexico does. And, if you visit them, they will expect to take your boat, your money and any other property you have and then kick you in the rear if they can. Nope, do not take your nice boat down there, it is like wearing a target on your forehead.

Any Mexican nationals don't like what I said, to bad, go clean your house. Sweep the floor.

Do not carry any guns into Mexico, you will be arrested, you will go to a "jail" where you will be tortured without recourse and then the Mexican governemt will openly bribe your family for your release and the US will do nothing for you. Best thing to do is not to visit Mexico until they regain some sort of control.

Did you read how there was a trade conference and the Mexican officials stole all of the Blackberries or something like that which were left on a table? What is wrong with them? A 50,000 dollars boat, no way.

N

Unless it's really calm, I don't think you'd want to take your 22' boat out to the island. We were on about a 30' sportfisher once and it was rough till we got near there. We were pitching up and down in the swells for the better part of an hour and barely making forward progress. The next day we went out with Gary's, those concrete hulls may be old and slow but they slam through the swells nicely...lol

You could probably do some local diving in the nearby cove but it's not that great. The seals/sea lions and most of the better diving is off San Pedro. It's a good 1-2 hr. run out there also.

I guess the other question would be where you'll leave it overnight. You can't leave it at the marina afaik, the dayboats I saw were pulled out at night. I'm not sure I'd want to leave it in the parking lot - maybe in the Marina Terra lot but not anywhere in town. There was a guard patrolling at the Marina, we saw him once or twice at night over the weekend.

As much as I would like to take it down to Mexico, I don't think that I will. I am really afraid of something happening to it. I may try to take it out to Catalina island or something.....not sure though. It is fairly stable for a 22' boat so I know that it will be safe in the ocean just so long as it doesn't turn into too much of a tempest, although, I will freely admit that I have absolutely no experience in boating in the ocean. I have only taken my boat in the lakes of Arizona and Utah. I know that I will need the proper navigation instruments and a marine radio, but not too sure of what else is necessary or required.

Thanks, Clay

You can make the run to Catalina in a boat like that in 1 -2 hours, and the weather doesn't change that fast on the West Coast. Do the crossing in the early morning and it's usually like glass, I know people who have water skied from San Diego to Catalina.

While everyone loves the park, the fact is the best diving is by boat. There are even some camping sites that are only accessible by boat, so you could bring some gear and spend the night, or stay at Avalon or the Isthmus. GPS, compass, radio, charts, fog horn, beer, (for after diving). At least 100 ft of anchor rode, it drops off pretty quickly. Best time is September, after the Labor Day weekend. Much easier to get a mooring. ( you rent them by the day), visibility is good and the water is at it's warmest.

Oh for God's Sake!!!

I have been driving to San Carlos for 25 years and not once has there been any event that caused me any concern. I have pulled a 22 foot Sea Ray to San Carlos and would not hesitate. The security at the either marina is fine. Now a couple of caveats.

Never travel at night!!!

If you are not comfortable on the ocean stay close. Your boat like my Sea Ray is made for lakes not oceans.

Never travel at night!!!

The Mexican people are incredibly friendly and helpful as soon as you get away from the border zone.

Never travel at night!!!

People who get into trouble in foreign countries are usually doing something stupid. So remmeber it is their country and don't do stupid stuff.

Never tra....You get the message.

Be careful and have fun. Take a look at the expats who live in Kino and San Carlos. Mostly retirerees in the 60's, 70's and 80's. If it were that predatory in Mexico wouldn't you think these people would make easy targets? Just doesn't happen. So enjoy and THINK!!

You can make the run to Catalina in a boat like that in 1 -2 hours, and the weather doesn't change that fast on the West Coast. Do the crossing in the early morning and it's usually like glass, I know people who have water skied from San Diego to Catalina.

While everyone loves the park, the fact is the best diving is by boat. There are even some camping sites that are only accessible by boat, so you could bring some gear and spend the night, or stay at Avalon or the Isthmus. GPS, compass, radio, charts, fog horn, beer, (for after diving). At least 100 ft of anchor rode, it drops off pretty quickly. Best time is September, after the Labor Day weekend. Much easier to get a mooring. ( you rent them by the day), visibility is good and the water is at it's warmest.

Thank you for the information! I would like to give this a try. I am an experienced boater and have been boating for a number of years now, but have never taken one out into the ocean. I think that Catalina would be a great trip. One other thing that I was wondering was with galvanic corrosion. Will I need to replace the sacrificial anodes on my outdrive? I have heard rumor that there are salt water and fresh water ones.

Thanks, Clay

There are several boating forums where you might can get better info on both Mexico and Catalina. The one that comes to mind is Boating & Fishing Forum - The Hull Truth .

Boating in the ocean is a whole 'nuther world from the lakes of Arizona. Arizona is a big boating state, like I said, we used to live there and boat there. I don't think your boat is self bailing so make sure your pumps are up, dual batteries, you will need as much as 600 feet of 3/8 anchor rode and 12 feet of chain and a good "Fortress" type anchor, back up anchor, better check with locals as to what anchors they use and where to anchor to avoid damaging marine life. Your going to need a VHF and a GPS and a chartplotter would be nice but at least a GPS. You can get the handhelds like the Lowrance H2O and use a RAM mount. Better have flares, signal flags, signal mirror, SeaTow insurance (150 dollars per year). Is your trailer galvanized, if not better check on having your boat lifted into the water, you will need a sling for that. If your trailer is galvanized then chances are it was meant for saltwater dunking (rinse after). Good luck, take some pics and share your adventure.

IMG_0487.jpg

My wife boards the Nemrod, big water and little boats, don't get no better!

IMG_0476_edited-1.jpg

Oh, good, it is still there.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom